Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
I set forth up to, you know, that lake with the perch, to try and follow Slayer's great example. I'm a bit new to this whole ice fishing thing, so I was cautiously optimistic that I'd be able to avoid the skunk and maybe even bring home some meat! Before I even started fishing, I learned a couple things right off the bat. One was that I don't want to bring a sled up to that place again. It was a pain in the ass with the terrain, and I feel like I can just throw everything I need into a decent sized backpack. The second thing I learned was that crampons would have been very good to have up there. To get to where I fished, I hiked on the ice for about three quarters of a mile. My Sorels worked okay on the snow covered stuff, but the other ice was super slick, and I almost ate **** on multiple occasions, but miraculously recovered. Anyway, on to the fishing. It was decent. My buddy and I drilled multiple holes and would each fish one until the action slowed, then move on to let that one recover and come back to it. That worked pretty well. I went with an 1/8 ounce Kasty, again following Slayer's lead. I caught my first perch tipping it with a mealworm, but after that it was all eyeballs all the time. My buddy had to leave after a couple hours, taking 7 perch with him. I stuck around a while longer, and ended up bringing 9 with me. Not too shabby, but not gangbusters either. I was pretty happy with it. I ran into Littlemac up there. Really nice guy, and it was cool to meet a fellow forum member in person. Sorry about the lack of pics. I forgot to put my phone on airplane mode, and it was constantly looking for a signal. By the time I had anything really worth photographing, the battery was toast. Thanks to Slayer for the earlier report and nice meeting you Littlemac!

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
nice report and it was great meeting you also we ended up with like ten perch ,one trout and one golden shiner.talking to people on the ice it didn't sound like they did very well.i was surprised on how good the ice was and hope to go back a few more times.again nice meeting you

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts
I changed the name of this thread, anymore of the vulgar thread names I will just delete the whole thread! We are still a family friendly forum so please everyone keep it at least PG-13.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Great report, sounds like you learned a lot (as did I the first time I went there) It's a cool lake but like you said you have to go light. Glad you got into some fish.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Great job. I carry a small $10 kiddy sled in one hand, my M-18/mora in the other and wear a backpack. when I get to the lake just put everything in the sled. easy peasy. 5 of us were there Thursday and it was slow. About the same as you guys caught. Going tomorrow with Ronco to avenge ourselves!

Ive had a couple "Love" posts deleted on Iceshanty also- Political Correctness sucks balls-

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
yeah mike I had some stuff deleted also, when people supposedly in power have no sense of humor it really sucks.good luck tomorrow,probably want to skip the island area altogether and head back were you were. we did find your holes but only managed three perch there. closer to cliffs is were we did the best. but im not so sure it wasn't more the time of day then anything else cause they just suddenly turned on.oh yeah minnows worked awesome. just incase you want to go that route.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I seen you guys over there, I guess I should of came over and said hi. I was on the other side of the island. I caught bigger perch on minnows.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I did not mark anything were we were. was going to talk to you but didn't want to disturb you. was there a best time of day for you. after we moved seem like everything started to turn on around one. was wondering why we got up so early

·
Registered
803 Posts
You wouldn't of disturbed me, hell i'm already disturbed. Early or late don't matter I don't think, it's just finding where the school is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts