Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its the time of the year where a lot of people deep water spoon walleyes, crappies and wipers from the depths of Pueblo, Horsetooth, Aurora, Carter, and Big Mac to name a few...lots of undersized fish caught and reeling them up from depths fish are unable to get back down to the depths they came from due to bloated bladders and eyes...so it becomes an ethical question do you fish for them when the outcome is probably death...I know there is fizzing but I am not sold that mortality isnt the outcome of that procedure also...

They have a striper model that seems like it would be the way to go for fresh water...I have no affiliation with them...

http://seaqualizer.com/about

·
Registered
625 Posts
interesting! I was saddened to learn that catch and release for Kokanee is near certain death. better not to fish for em if you're not going to keep em.

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well if they are spawning they are going to die anyway...

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
All fish as well as all fishermen die anyway-

The time to kill is while you are alive!

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even u have to admit 25 stunned floating 15 inch walleyes unable get back down on Ptown isnt a good idea...

·
Registered
2,180 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
That's funny!!
I've been saying that the man is a poet. No need for fancy words, poetic conventions, or other literary pretensions. Slayer for Nobel Prize in Literature!

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
I don't fish in deep water anymore for that reason, but when I did I had a milk crate that I would put over a fish that wanted to float and I would lower the milk crate down on a 50 foot rope for a couple of minutes. that seamed to work, at least I felt better about it.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Heres another way to do it. Attach a 4-6 oz sinker to your line on an extra rod and tie on a small hook. After the fish is caught if its in distress hook it very lightly thru the lip and lower it down. When its back on the bottom set the hook hard and the hook will pull free, leaving the fish on the bottom.

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
See Byron you are full of wisdom!!!

lol Slayer Nobel Laureate...What's next a TV cooking show Blowing Up with Blue Cheese Starring Mikey Slayerfish...

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Slayer Nobel Laureate...What's next a TV cooking show Blowing Up with Blue Cheese Starring Mikey Slayerfish...
Bob Dylan won it this year, so that's proof that you don't have to be a writer. :biggrin1:

Some good ideas on getting those fish back down!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I use the laker saver also, a great product gave a few away to guide's in Ak,(they are required to carry them now for releasing Yelloweye) and Don gave one to Jon Ewert to use with his lake Trout netting studies.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts