Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, hard to believe, but the Colorado House just voted down Bill 1125 by a 32 to 32 vote. This latest attemted assault on our rights by the "people who want to controll the actions of everyone else" would have allowed law enforcement officers the right to pull over and ticket anyone seen not wearing a seatbelt. Current law allows them to ticket drivers not wearing one, but only after they are pulled over for something else. At a time when our rights are slowly being taken away, even a small victory like this is something to be happy about. Seatbelts are a real good idea, but I've become really tired of our gov. trying to force decisions down my throat that I should be free to make myself. IMO!

·
Registered
774 Posts
I was watching the news this morning and somehow they worked racism into the topic. I forget the wording but it was something like "police were pulling over more minorities than whites" This race card **** is getting way out of hand

·
Registered
238 Posts
I agree.....all those people who die from the impact of a windshield and are thrown 50 feet deserve it...dumb @%&'s     Stupid government trying to instill common sense!!!!  HOw dare they!!! :)

And just because I cant help myself.......when is mentioning race NOT "puulling the race card"?  Are there times when mentioning race related problems are not just a "tactic" but an actual concern?  MLK pulled the race card..........Brown vs Board of Education..another example of people pulling the race card....HA...those crazy "race card" pulling people......

·
Registered
774 Posts
I didnt mean to start anything with my post, but I see more cars with people not wearing safety belts that are "minorities" than others. What really gets me is when I look over at a car beside me and there are kids jumping on the back seat or running around, or a person holding a baby.

I was involved in an acident a few years ago on a public street, I was broadsided by a girl going 75mph while I was going 30 (the speed limit). I would be dead if it wasnt for a seatbelt.

I am also sorry for the bad language in my last post, I am used to them being edited out automatically by the forum software.

·
Registered
238 Posts
All the people i see driving nice cars and live in big houses are white...that must mean all white people are rich.......:)

·
Registered
176 Posts
I dont agree with the seatbelt law, I beleive it is an individuals choice to use common sense. As far as the "race card"- legislation felt that this law would increase profiling by law enforcement(ie; the publics interpretation), which in turn increases the liability taken on by the state.

M

·
0 Posts
hellfish said:
I dont agree with the seatbelt law, I beleive it is an individuals choice to use common sense. As far as the "race card"- legislation felt that this law would increase profiling by law enforcement(ie; the publics interpretation), which in turn increases the liability taken on by the state.
I agree with Hellfish. Honestly though, the folks I've seen not using belts - mostly ANYONE in rural Colorado (I spend more time out east than on the Western Slope) as well as EMS (I used to be one) and law enforcement.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I am from Pakistan, and I get profilled all the time when I am travelling by Air. I registstered my self so that I dont have to miss my flights. I only fly United and am a mileage plus member, but If i fly another airline..........i make sure i get there 3 - 4 hours early. What can I say i dont like it...........but its a small price to pay to keep the sky's safe. But when does it end.

·
Registered
248 Posts
all i can say is whoo ha thank you for not passing that law i mean whats next will i get fined for peeing on the seat...
Land of the free ----- soon to the point where we have more laws then rights

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ken Broeren said:
When we're talkin about fishin' - we're doing ok.

When we're not, well it sometimes gets pretty ugly.

O0
I know, Ken. But sometimes it gets pretty darn entertaining! I enjoy the exchange of ideas in the off topic section. If we could all agree to staying away from the racist crap and quit bitchin' at each other for differences of opinion....

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pondfisher said:
I agree.....all those people who die from the impact of a windshield and are thrown 50 feet deserve it...dumb @%&'s     Stupid government trying to instill common sense!!!!  HOw dare they!!! :)
Hey Pondfisher, If you want to wear your seatbelt thats fine, you can buckle up while you're at home sitting on the toilet for I care, freedom of choice. But what gives people like you the right to try to try to force everyone else to? :)

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
kastmisser said:
Pondfisher said:

one of the issues is that millions of dollars of injuries would be prevented every year if everyone wore there seat belt and this cause everyones insurance to go higher and effects many other finacial aspects also there are numerous case where a simple colision turns into a horific wreck because the driver was unable to stay behind the wheel and control the car after the initial impact and that means the guy that hits you head on might have been able to miss you had he been wearing a seat belt

i myself am kinda torn on this issue, when someone's actions or inactions puts my life at risk then maybe it is time to do something

if there was a way to make someone totaly responsible finacialy it might be different, but we cant and most people to day dont want to be responsible for there actions anyway
Hey Pondfisher, If you want to wear your seatbelt thats fine, you can buckle up while you're at home sitting on the toilet for I care, freedom of choice. But what gives people like you the right to try to try to force everyone else to? :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Road kill, I agree that everyone should where a seat belt, its moronic to go with out, I just don't agree that the gov needs to tell me this. As far as financial responsibility, its there, its just not followed up on enough. I think the state should be more concerned on raising the minimum limits for liability, or bringing back PIP. The amount of uninsured motorists on the road scares me alot more than those without a seatbelt on.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
its not just the money, imagine this, some giuy gets broadsided going thru an intersection not bad but enough to throw him across the seat away from the steering wheel and unable to control the car and his forward momentum send him head on into one of your loved ones coming the other way. now his lack of wearing a seat belt has affected someone other than himself and if he had been wearing the belt he may have been able to stop or steer to avoid the secondary colission this sort of thing makes me think

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
ok on that same note my wife was in a slow car crash and she wasnt wearing her seat belt
when the car hit it tossed her into the passenger seat
it cracked her pelvis but that was it

the police there were saying if she had been wearing her seat belt it most likly killed her the seat belt would have held her there and the car would have crushed her body

the goverment dont pay for my gas or my insurance so if i dont wear my seat belt in my car it should be my choice im over 21

·
Registered
238 Posts
I understand the rational...the government is looking to decrease auto related fatalities. I personally dont see the difference between this and stopping someone for uhhhhh....no headlights or brakelights........the end result is safety.

Many times laws do cross the line...I just think that this one does not. Ask the emergency personel who have to scrape carcasses off the road what they think........I wonder what they would say...

Common sense says that you should not drink and drive..yet 1000's of people die every year because of it......thats with the law. I really believe that the lives that "could" be saved is worth more than our gripes about the government .

Ohh......I several small bass today.....where are all the big ones at? :)

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Pondfisher said:
I understand the rational...the government is looking to decrease auto related fatalities. I personally dont see the difference between this and stopping someone for uhhhhh....no headlights or brakelights........the end result is safety.
I do see a difference. Driving with no lights endangers other people, and the laws about that are intended to protect innocent people from the driver's foolishness. Seat belt laws are an attempt by the lawmakers to force me to do something for my own good, and that, IMO, is stepping over the line. My safety does not take priority over my freedom. Not ever.

There is really little difference between that and a law that women must have a mammogram every two years, or children are not allowed to play alone, or fishermen must wear a life jacket all the time they're in the boat. All of those things are good ideas, of course, but when the government mandates them by law for your own good, they have stepped on your personal freedom of choice, and the small area that you are allowed to walk around in and do as you please, has grown just a little bit smaller.

It's just another step along the way to the state where "anything which is not forbidden, is mandatory."

BTW, I always wear seat belts. I don't deny the wisdom of wearing seat belts, I object to being forced to with a gun to my head.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts