Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I fished a spot in Loveland yesterday looking for some bass or walleye or something along those lines. It was only my second time ice fishing this season and my first time in this area. I've been doing a lot of open water fishing. Another member met me at sunrise and we hit it for a bit. I was using what jax calls "large shiners"(more like a mix of medium and large) and my buddy was using artificials. We didn't get anything after fishing a while and trying a few different spots so we ran to a different location. We fished off the dam a bit and didn't get any so we moved in closer. In like 5-6 fow we started getting bit on the live bait. I was hoping for a cat or largemouth or something but I ended up with four trout. It was dink city but it was cool that they were aggressive enough to go after these relatively large minnows. They weren't hitting the artificials-even the usual trout stuff wasnt working. I got four and missed a couple more.

I'm gonna keep hitting it hard.....finally ready to really start ice fishing. Still can't wait for that spring open water bite, though! Ice-off lakers have been on my mind since ice-on.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Nice --- troutskis can be annoying that way. What depth were you fishing the shiners before you moved shallow? Were you along any weeds? To target LMB, I try to find weed lines, 10-15 fow, hang the shiners two feet up.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice --- troutskis can be annoying that way. What depth were you fishing the shiners before you moved shallow? Were you along any weeds? To target LMB, I try to find weed lines, 10-15 fow, hang the shiners two feet up.
I'd say we were right on the money, then. We were probably somewhere between 12-15.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did really good last year at the first spot for largemouth. Just need to fish it a little more and get back in the swing of things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts