Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the 1980s a group of us would go on several annual backpack/fishing trips to alpine lakes (snowmass, stout creek, various sangre de cristo lakes, capitol (now fished out ? ) constantine - just to name a few.

We are now in our 60s so for the past couple of yrs we've selected a base camp, usually dispersed and go on day hikes to alpine lakes, last year was at some smaller lakes in the leadville area, near the colorado trail but fishing wasn't very good, for 3 yrs we went to the North Fork reservoir in the monarch pass area - fishing was good at the reservoir and caught a few in the alpine lakes above the reservoir.

So just looking to see if anyone has nay recommendations, we mostly spin cast.

Anyone else on here remember how good fishing was at snowmass lake back in the 80s and even 90s ? We made numerous trip there and also to pierre lakes and a few trips up the lake fork outside of Edwards in the HC wilderness.

tia

·
Registered
16,566 Posts
Flattops have lots of lakes and still some good fishing. Camped at the Pierre lakes in 2005 and it was a pretty brutal hike. Lots of cuts but no real bigggys nothing over 18". Also some good fish in IPW above Rollinsville.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flattops have lots of lakes and still some good fishing. Camped at the Pierre lakes in 2005 and it was a pretty brutal hike. Lots of cuts but no real bigggys nothing over 18". Also some good fish in IPW above Rollinsville.
Thanks, yeah the hike to pierre lakes was memorable, I think it was in the early 90s when we went there, had to ford snowmass creek to get over to the bear creek drainage and then traverse that face and we had full packs. Once we arrived at the lake the wind was howling making fishing difficult to put it mildly.
We looked at a stocking and catch report from cdow about the lakes in IPW, several seemed to be good, have you camped backed there or just hiked in to fish ? We considered going to king, bob or betty,but open to others.
Have you ever gone up the lake fork in the edwards area, to big lake and forest lake ? also tough hike with no maintained trail but some great cut fishing.

·
Registered
16,566 Posts
Never camped in IPW. Did about 30 day trips.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'm not sure what the camping scene is like, since I just day hiked up there a couple of times, but Woodland Lake and Skyscraper Reservoir up the Hessie Trail could be worth a look. I never fished Skyscraper, but Woodland had some nice cutts and I heard rumors of bigger fish in Skyscraper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure what the camping scene is like, since I just day hiked up there a couple of times, but Woodland Lake and Skyscraper Reservoir up the Hessie Trail could be worth a look. I never fished Skyscraper, but Woodland had some nice cutts and I heard rumors of bigger fish in Skyscraper.
thanks - I've hiked up and over the divide from the east side some yrs back on hikes to arapahoe lakes and forest lakes, saw vehicles from winter park side up pretty high on the pass, I'm thinking we can camp below tree line on the winter park side and fish king , corona and maybe a few other lakes.

·
Registered
16,566 Posts
Fished Corona last august. Skunked. Saw a nice one rise. Fished Pumphouse same day got lots of little brookies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
18" is a decent sized cut - the biggest cutts I ever caught were out of mohawk lake above Breckenridge some 30 yrs back, hiked thru snowfields some 30 yrs back and caught 2 cuts with about 25% of the lake open - one was a 24" cut, the other 21 but huge girth,
How about meadow creek reservoir - have you fished that ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fished Corona last august. Skunked. Saw a nice one rise. Fished Pumphouse same day got lots of little brookies.
if you are into catching brook - many lakes in the HC wilderness are loaded with them as are willow lakes, willow is a long way for a day hike though, caught some really large brooks out of marvine lakes in the flattops some 10 yrs back.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Camping in IPW requires a special permit. It is only 5 bucks or so if I remember correctly. I've only done day trips to a few lakes up there though. Betty and Bob are on my list though for sure. Have seen some pictures of nice Cutthroat

1 - 11 of 11 Posts