Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to seminoe in 2 weeks for 4 days fishing.
I have always killed the trout up and caught a few walleye acroos from the yatcht club. Anyone have any pointers for this lake?

E

·
0 Posts
G'morning!

FIsh this one several times per year. Walleye truly heat up in July...this lake starts later than the others for the EYes, as a result of temperatures...However, the trout are HUGE and a pair of Long Browns is not uncommon as a double hookup.

If you are boating, I recommend going up as far into the arm on the east side of the lake...trolling your way in, working across the channel back and forth in a zig zag pattern, making an attempt to hit every major and secondary point that you can so that you are varying depths with your lures until you can develop a specific patter. The fish will be most active at one particular depth, so pay special attention to how much line and how big a lip on the crankbait (or how deep whatever lure you are using is travelling).

I find that RED crankbaits cannot be beaten for the big trout. I was fishing for walleye in late April there a few years ago, and while running a RED cotton cordell walleye diver-I kept nailing these monster trout...so we put red ones on all the rods, as the walleyte weren't biting ANYTHING...we hammered so many huge trout, that we now go back up there with the kids, just for that purpose each year. **TIP**____I carry a can of red and a can of black testers model paint in small spray cans in my tackle boxes just in case I run out of crankbaits...there, or anywhere.

Have fun!

E

·
0 Posts
Being that it is really early for them up there, I'd suggest vertical jigging if you can locate them stacking up somewhere on or near the bottom.
As boring as that can be for some folks, it sure does make it hard for the fish to resist.
You might also try controlled drifting some minnows on jigheads, or marabou roadrunners with minnows or ninnow heads if the fish are picky...

My trouble is in finding them up there this early...once ya do, it's ON!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eyeguy,
Leaving for seminoe on friday, weather forcast hi 44 SNOW gonna have to break out the cold weather gear.
Eric

·
Registered
16,538 Posts
Hey stuccoman, Good luck! I like Seminoe-great place. Ive only fished from shore in the spring and no wallys only nice trout.Had real good luck on silver/solid orange kastys reeled right on the bottom.I'm leaving this friday AM to fish the N. Platte just below Alcova dam.I'll report this monday!Later-

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good luck slayer,
we are leaveing about 7 tomarrow pathfinder finder fri and saterday, then seminoe sun and monday. I have a grey 2 tone dodge 2500 deisel and 18 ft lund fisherman 150 merc, if see me say hi.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Hey Stuc, I have caught alot of walleye and big trout trolling #7 Shad Raps along the canyon walls at Pathfinder. Go as far up the inlet end as possible, until it gets to shallow.

Eyeguy is right about red baits! There are alot of crawfish in Seminole and Pathfinder but not many baitfish!

Let us know how you do? You to Slayer!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts