Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
Personally, I think they look too intrusive. Big & shiny, usually if I have to throw a senko the conditions are such that I want the bait to look and act as natural as possible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wacky rigged Senkos just slay Bass and Pike. I usually use an o-ring, though not always. I'll tuck the hook tip back into the worm for a semi-weedless approach and cast into reeds and weeds. That's where the bigguns seem to lay in wait.
Texas rigging Senkos works for a lot of guys, I never have much luck. If I do go Texas style, I prefer a weighted hook, or a nose weight. Nonetheless, Senkos are always on one of my rods.

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
Personally, I think they look too intrusive. Big & shiny, usually if I have to throw a senko the conditions are such that I want the bait to look and act as natural as possible.
Ya, I think you may be right... I liked the idea, but then you divulged the crossed o ring... I will borrow!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Jon, you sure teach me a lot... your posts are always subtly huge. Gracias....

The double hooks with the connector look great, but I would likely only use them if tourney fishing...hi dolla lil' mofos.

Gary Yammamoto fishes 17lb in way different type of water than we fish out here... In CO we are usually finess fishing in super clear water where stealth is far more important... I use different wt line for different conditions and def different for texas rigged... When using a big worm hook, you gotta hit those fish hard, so you gotta have some strong line, and you are usually fishing mad cover. When wacky rigging, you don't set the hook nearly as hard and it is usually not in heavy cover (wacky kinda defeats the weedless aspect of the bait).

ATK is the Senko KING and should chime in with some tips. All hail the king of senko!

Ummmm negative, Gary lives at Powell, or at least did when he invented senkos (for that lake) which is very clear back in the coves. It was invented with the idea of fishing it wacky... He was doing the "magic pencil" thing, where you make your pen or pencil wabble when he came up w/ the idea.... Anyway, Mead, havi, both Gin clear (as clear or clearer then ANY lake here even alpine where no veg grows) where him and his son fish senkos on heavy line almost exclusively.

Just sayin :)

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
Ummmm negative, Gary lives at Powell, or at least did when he invented senkos (for that lake) which is very clear back in the coves. It was invented with the idea of fishing it wacky... He was doing the "magic pencil" thing, where you make your pen or pencil wabble when he came up w/ the idea.... Anyway, Mead, havi, both Gin clear (as clear or clearer then ANY lake here even alpine where no veg grows) where him and his son fish senkos on heavy line almost exclusively.

Just sayin :)
So he fished it on 17 in mead and havi, eh? seems redic unless he wanted it to sink at a different rate.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Weightless T-rig with 4/0-5/0 EWG.
Use O ring and 1/0 octo with wacky.

That's about all there is to it....pretty simple....although I have been thinking about trying to make a wacky weedless somehow. I snag a wacky quite a bit.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts