Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
McFish-Thats a great site-I liked it so much I put it in my favorites. It all goes to show if you look around there are some great deals on the net. Ed

·
Registered
238 Posts
Quick question for you senko fishers. Can you fish these lures with 4lb test? That is pretty much all I use...I like the way small fish feel like monsters on th ultra-lite line. Would this particular technique be too heavy for 4lb test?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Pondfisher said:
Quick question for you senko fishers. Can you fish these lures with 4lb test? That is pretty much all I use...I like the way small fish feel like monsters on th ultra-lite line. Would this particular technique be too heavy for 4lb test?
i wouldn't think so. i believe i used mine with a 6lb and it was just fine.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I agree w/ eric I too use it with 6 lb. test. Anything from 4-10 should be fine to fish these baits, anything heavier and I believe they lose their effectiveness. (They are good for clear water only, and the bass are skittish of much thicker line IMO.) 4 lb. test should work fine, although don't complain to me when the big one breaks you off :eek:

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
McFish said:
I have purchased from this site and found that the bass dont care that the bait cost 1/3 as much as senkos.  http://shopping.whiteysplastics.com/index.php
This maybe true, but bass will hit pretty much anythign the real test is when the bass aren't biting does the action of the senkos still land fish.
As for line I personally like to use 10lb test, but thats cause I usually to excited and horse the fish a little more then I should. But with smaller test line the better especially for shy fish.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I buy the knock offs too but still call them senkos. Both fish the same in my opinion but when I am in the tackle shop, I pick up the originals. Really love the 3" in dark colors when I am "fishing the junk".

The line weight should reflect the cover in my opinion. Mostly because you can "horse" a bass out of thick cover with heavier line where as some 4 pound stuff is just gonna get you in trouble. Clear water, little or no cover...I say go as light as you want.

The lightest I go is 6 pound if I'm chasing hawgs. Even then a brute can catch me dozing with my drag set to tight and make me wish I was throwing piano wire instead.

·
Registered
603 Posts
My observations on Senko's after using them for 3 years.
If the bite is slow or picky, I find myself using the real senko's vs the cheaper internet purchased ones. I have seen a difference in bites at times. When they are hitting pretty good, I'll try some of the cheaper ones and still get a decent amount of activity though I feel it is less than what I get with the original. If you can get some that are cheaper and still be as soft and pliable, your probably better off. In addition the fisheys seem to hang on to the original a little longer as well which can be a bonus if it is a bit breezy. I have not tried any of the store bought senko look a likes so can't chime in on that one .
Another way to fish them that has been successful to me is:
Instead of casting letting sit and then raise rod vertical to bring off the bottom and let fall back down.
I cast, let fall, sometimes to the bottom, sometimes almost all the way, sometimes mid way etc,, and then twitch the rod parallel to the water. Pause, 2-3 5,7-10 seconds ( experiment) then twitch the bait holding the rod parallel or almost parallel to the water.

Line weight.
There is a lot of bulk to this bait ( Senko) which requires a decent hookset in order to get enough of the hook to protrude past the bait and into the lips. It can be done on 4lb test with the right rod but a flimsy rod is not what you want to use in this case. If you have a rod that is pretty stiff and still allow you to use 4lb effectively, you may get it to work pretty constantly.

In my opinion and based on my experiences, a bait that requires a hookset hard enough to drive a sharp hook through plastic and into a bass?s mouth requires a little more rod than an ultralight typically provides. Not to say it can?t be done as I have done it and have caught an 8lb. bass out of a local pond on a 6 foot ultra light and 4lb test. Just be ready to not hook to many. You can have a ton of fun with a smaller worm like zoom?s 4 inch ringworm and no weight. It can be fished somewhat like a senko with a lot less plastic to drive the hook through. I typically will imbed the hook all the way through the bait, then pull it back into the bait thereby creating a channel for the hook to pass through. It seems to help.

Good luck,
Brett

·
Registered
171 Posts
I went to Jerry Creek yesterday and fished early in the morning. I had a lot of luck using spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, skitter pops, and skitter props but when I dropped in the Senko, they didn't touch it. Even the little ones were just watching it but wouldn't commit. That is interesting for Jerry Creek as Senko's have always worked well for me there.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.