Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably in the wrong section... But I don't thing there is really a section for this.

We may have to pack up and leave my home state of Colorado for good. I love it here, its home, and I am very sad about it.

several factors have played into this, some good, some sad... But all of which are leading me to this course of action.

My wife and I found out a month ago that we are expecting a new child... Unexpected, to say the least... But certainly a positive thing. We are not wealthy people and have next to NO reliable child care on the "cheap" so we will not be able to have a dual income... Her job doesn't pay all that great, and since I am "uneducated" and have no real connections here, I cannot seem to find decent paying work which would allow her to stay home with the kids while I provide.

This week, we went on vacation to Missouri to visit Whitney 's brother Josh and his new family. The second day we were there, Whitneys step mom began losing her battle with cancer. She went into full liver and kidney failure and had to be rushed to her hospital in Indiana. Her daughter, (my wife's half sister) is only 10 years old. We had to rush out here to be by her side, and she died two days ago. Whits dad and sister are completely lost right now...

My father has had his job for 20+ years... A professor at a college. He recently lost that job and they have to sell their beautiful big house on a hill here in KY and downsize... They need to sell off much of what they own and the IRS is taking the vast majority of the proceeds from the sale of the house.

These things are all coming down right now... They all started piling on in the past month, and there appears to be no viable solution other than to move here to help our families in time of need, also allowing us to have childcare options, and live in a place with very low cost of living.

I consider many of you my friends, and I ask for your thoughts and prayers as we go forward. This is a very difficult decision for us... And I don't want to leave Colorado. But sometimes, as circumstances arise and change around you, you have to change with them, or be crushed by the tides.

Please wish us luck in this endeavor and in these trying times. We need it.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
What a shame... sorry for your loss. Would a move for the family in MO to CO be considerable, maybe help to start anew?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Good luck with the move.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Man, sorry to hear the bad news
Hang in there and I wish you and the family the best.
I know you won't leave this site lol

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about everything you and your family are going through. I wish you strength to get through these tough times and best of luck in the future.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Good luck Owen it sounds like you have thought it through!

There are worse places to move to...

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Thoughts and prayers are with you. Do what you need to do. Economy is turning around here but cost of living remains high. Serious stuff sure makes fishing seem unimportant. :(.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone. Mom and dad live in Elizabethtown, KY, and Whits dad and sister live in New Albany Indiana. An hour apart. We may ALL end up relocating to Monterey TN in the end. I have a great paying job waiting for me there in manufacturing, and you can buy a loaf of bread for .79... Milk for 1.79.

When mom and dad downsize and relocate, I think they will be moving there to be near my sister and her family. If WE move, I will have a place to stay and a good job that pays well... Hard to justify staying in Denver except for the fact that I can go trout fishing any time I want and take the boy hiking in the Rockies... I love Colorado, and I never wanted to move away.

**** sometimes just happens. And when it does, reality will dictate your course, and one ALWAYS exists. Some people say that's the will of God, others say its human nature to survive and find a way...

In our case, maybe it's a little bit of both. We have some long discussions ahead of us in the next month...

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
That sucks dude. My condolences for your loss.... I can't imagine how you feel right now.

I think you'll be back. In the meantime, where in Missouri you staying at?

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We left Missouri to go to Indiana to be with Whit's family in Indiana. Right now we are at my folks' house in Kentucky.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Never mind I can't read... Lol.

Best of luck to ya, Owen.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I am really sorry to hear about your loss. For what it's worth, I think you and your family are doing the right thing and putting family first. If you do have to leave, don't stop taking your kids (including the new one on the way - congrats!) fishing. My dad lived in just outside of Elizabethton, TN, before he passed away and there was always some good fishing to be found around there. I don't imagine it's that near Elizabethtown, KY, or Monterey, TN, and the Smokies aren't as high as the Rockies, but they do have trout and some gorgeous carp, catfish, crappie and bass water.

Hang tight, and keep doing what you're doing.

FishDr

1 - 20 of 71 Posts