Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
People should have payed the $75!!

I am sure they pay WAY more than that for insurance, So why not pay the $6.25 a month to have fire protection :/ (I spend more than that a month on Redbox movies LOL)

"South Fulton Mayor David Crocker said city officials don’t want to see anyone’s house burn, but he emphasized that South Fulton has a city fire department which is supported by city taxes in order to serve its residents -- with a rural fire subscription service made available outside the city limits to county residents in the city’s designated rural coverage area."

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
If the fire department recieves any money outside of that generated by the "fees" then they better get ready to pay up as I think this guy would win hands down. He can look on the bright side........with the money he will win in a lawsuit he can afford to buy something nicer than a trailer home!!!

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
solesearcher34 said:
If the fire department recieves any money outside of that generated by the "fees" then they better get ready to pay up as I think this guy would win hands down.  He can look on the bright side........with the money he will win in a lawsuit he can afford to buy something nicer than a trailer home!!!
RVinson said:
"South Fulton Mayor David Crocker said city officials don’t want to see anyone’s house burn, but he emphasized that South Fulton has a city fire department which is supported by city taxes in order to serve its residents -- with a rural fire subscription service made available outside the city limits to county residents in the city’s designated rural coverage area."
I know a guy back in AZ that lived outside the fire coverage area that actually had to buy there own firetruck(Be it a pretty old one) to protect there home!!  I bet they wish they could have just payed $75 a year instead!!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I don't care how you slice it, this is BS. Since when does a fire department get to decide when it's appropriate to put out a fire. The guy lost 4 pets. What if a person was in there, would the fire chief have stood by and watched then? That kind of decision should NOT ride on the shoulders of the firefighters. They should have put out the fire and if they felt necessary, charged the guy for the service.

The way fire fighting agencies should work...There's a fire, they get in their trucks, and go try to put it out. Keep politics out of the firehouse.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
DozerF350 said:
I don't care how you slice it, this is BS. Since when does a fire department get to decide when it's appropriate to put out a fire. The guy lost 4 pets. What if a person was in there, would the fire chief have stood by and watched then? That kind of decision should NOT ride on the shoulders of the firefighters. They should have put out the fire and if they felt necessary, charged the guy for the service.

The way fire fighting agencies should work...There's a fire, they get in their trucks, and go try to put it out. Keep politics out of the firehouse.
x2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DozerF350 said:

EXACTLY!

·
Registered
319 Posts
This may be new to a lot of you in Colorado and the Western states, but back East this is common practice. If you want fire protection you must pay for it. Back East they don't get money to run EMS calls or fire calls outside their districts. Unlike here in Colorado were you pay fees in your homeowners taxes and mill levy fees it is not included back East.

Everyone wants protection. But is it fair to those who pay for it to pay for those who don't. Police and ambulance services collect fees in tickets and medical services. What kind of bill do you get for gettin a cat out of a tree, pullin you out of a mangled care or even puttin out a fire out at your home. NONE!!!! Because you pay for it one way or another. Fire departments make no money. Yet we have to battle for funds, run our departments on the bare minimum. But yet we are the first to be there to help anyone at anytime. And ask for nothing in return but for the community to support us.

Besides most trailer homes or like puttin a torch to a match box, very few get saved. And the ones that do are very seldom rebuilt due to damage. Departments back East a starting to charge by the hour for services at traffic accidents, medical calls and even structure fires. People in areas not covered are given the choice to pay for services up front or pay heavy wages to the services they recieve if not covered.

So all of you whining, if your local fire department wants to mill levy or raise your taxes a few bucks a month to continue the services you recieve now, think about what the states back east are doing. Everyday firefighters go to work and wonder if they will be the next head on the chopping block. Things are tough for everyone, but when you are in a jam who is the first ones there to help. Assistant managers at the local conveinance stores make more than we do. But yet we are the ones puttin ourselves out there to help you. So support your local fire departments. We don't get rich doin this job, but it costs money to do what we do. And every second counts especially if it is you or your child or a loved one.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
here is an example of how it works in colo. back in 72 or 73 there was a place called the happy candlemaker located between 30th and 31st on colorado ave. in colo spgs. when it caught fire, they called colo spgs who rolled 3 trucks 10 blocks and hooked to the first hydrant, then they found the fire was in the el paso county,surrounded on 3 sides by the city, this took 4 min. then they called el paso co fire a mostly volunteer dept 15 miles away. they rolled 2 trucks and called manitou spgs another volunteer dept. who rolled 1 truck that was 3 miles away. manitou came in and hooked uo to a colo spgs hydrent and had water going on the fire in 14 min. from the 1st call el paso co got there in 26 min needless the building burned to the ground.

now here is why and how this happened. colo spgs did not have a mutial aid agreement with el paso co.elpaso co did have an agreement with manitou, so manitou could run one first line truck to the fire, they had to leave the 2nd truck and a crew in the distrect. manitou had an agreement with colo spgs so they could use colo spgs water, but not their equpment or men. then when el paso co. did git there they had to hook up to the manitou truck for their water. all the while here sat 3 trucks from the city hooked to water but all they could do was watch and protect the three sides that they were responsable for

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
sorry Jason you are wrong, the chief is only responsable to his own district or the people who the diatrict gets money from for protection. if while the equipment and crew was out of the disterct fighting a fire and another fire started in the district and there was no one to fight it he would be fired plain and simple. now my bonifides 23 years as a volunteer fireman, highest rank batt.chief of the volunteers

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
HookMeUp2 said:
This may be new to a lot of you in Colorado and the Western states, but back East this is common practice. If you want fire protection you must pay for it. Back East they don't get money to run EMS calls or fire calls outside their districts. Unlike here in Colorado were you pay fees in your homeowners taxes and mill levy fees it is not included back East.

Everyone wants protection. But is it fair to those who pay for it to pay for those who don't. Police and ambulance services collect fees in tickets and medical services. What kind of bill do you get for gettin a cat out of a tree, pullin you out of a mangled care or even puttin out a fire out at your home. NONE!!!! Because you pay for it one way or another. Fire departments make no money. Yet we have to battle for funds, run our departments on the bare minimum. But yet we are the first to be there to help anyone at anytime. And ask for nothing in return but for the community to support us.

Besides most trailer homes or like puttin a torch to a match box, very few get saved. And the ones that do are very seldom rebuilt due to damage. Departments back East a starting to charge by the hour for services at traffic accidents, medical calls and even structure fires. People in areas not covered are given the choice to pay for services up front or pay heavy wages to the services they recieve if not covered.

So all of you whining, if your local fire department wants to mill levy or raise your taxes a few bucks a month to continue the services you recieve now, think about what the states back east are doing. Everyday firefighters go to work and wonder if they will be the next head on the chopping block. Things are tough for everyone, but when you are in a jam who is the first ones there to help. Assistant managers at the local conveinance stores make more than we do. But yet we are the ones puttin ourselves out there to help you. So support your local fire departments. We don't get rich doin this job, but it costs money to do what we do. And every second counts especially if it is you or your child or a loved one.
No one is saying the guy was unappreciative. And really, it sounds like you made my point for me. You shouldn't be concerned about the cost of fighting fires, as a firefighter. That's for legislators and bureaucrats to worry about.

[quote = walleye seeker]
sorry Jason you are wrong, the chief is only responsable to his own district or the people who the diatrict gets money from for protection. if while the equipment and crew was out of the disterct fighting a fire and another fire started in the district and there was no one to fight it he would be fired plain and simple. now my bonifides 23 years as a volunteer fireman, highest rank batt.chief of the volunteers
[/quote]
It's not like they got the call and found it was out of their district. They were AT the fire, sitting there watching it burn. So if another fire had broken out somewhere else that needed their attention, they would have been occupied anyway.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
how would any of those firefighters felt, had it turned out a human lost their life in that fire.

i am a fire fighter and if i can put out a fire and save someone some grief, i will! if the chief said no, well then he can kiss my ass. those fire fighters should be ashamed of them selves

i am not much for violence, but i would have been tempted to do more than blacken that losers eye!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Thats just it ...the GOV decides, we had a house fire not more than 500 yds from our station. It was another districts area...my department was not allowed to engage or respond without the request of the other Fire Dept or without being dispatched. The house burned down before th other department got there.

Ya it sucks to watch but what happens when you disobey your protocols and like Roadkill said put the fire out and screw what the beaurocrats say. If all goes well and you put out the fire and save a life...your a hero. But what happens if you get injured or killed doing something that you were told you couldn't do. What happens to your family? Who takes care of them. The GOV won't cause you engaged in something that was not authorized. Its a double edged sword.

Because of what happened near my station, there is inter-govenrmental agreements that now protects us all in certain situations. Good local government works to protect us all. That is why they made changes.
Any good Fireman will put his life on the line if the risk is worth it....But one thing I have learned from many great fireman over my career is that we did not cause the problem that we are responding to...we will give our life to save anothers, but no life is worth what can be rebuilt, reproduce or replace including our own. And that goes deeper than just the other persons property. If those firefighters risk their job to save that guys property and then got fired over it, who takes care of them and their families? If there was a person or people in that guys trailer not one of them would have hesitated to save them. But they are not going to risk everything to save something that can be replaced. Guranteed that the owner and the Fd knew that eveyone was out of the trailer except the dog or they would have engaged.
IMO he should have had his ducks in a row instead of blaming the fire chief for his own negligence of not paying his bills. ::) ::) ;)

·
Banned
3,879 Posts
HookMeUp2 said:
Thats just it ...the GOV decides, we had a house fire not more than 500 yds from our station. It was another districts area...my department was not allowed to engage or respond without the request of the other Fire Dept or without being dispatched. The house burned down before th other department got there.

Ya it sucks to watch but what happens when you disobey your protocols and like Roadkill said put the fire out and screw what the beaurocrats say. If all goes well and you put out the fire and save a life...your a hero. But what happens if you get injured or killed doing something that you were told you couldn't do. What happens to your family? Who takes care of them. The GOV won't cause you engaged in something that was not authorized. Its a double edged sword.

Because of what happened near my station, there is inter-govenrmental agreements that now protects us all in certain situations. Good local government works to protect us all. That is why they made changes.
Any good Fireman will put his life on the line if the risk is worth it....But one thing I have learned from many great fireman over my career is that we did not cause the problem that we are responding to...we will give our life to save anothers, but no life is worth what can be rebuilt, reproduce or replace including our own. And that goes deeper than just the other persons property. If those firefighters risk their job to save that guys property and then got fired over it, who takes care of them and their families? If there was a person or people in that guys trailer not one of them would have hesitated to save them. But they are not going to risk everything to save something that can be replaced. Guranteed that the owner and the Fd knew that eveyone was out of the trailer except the dog or they would have engaged.
IMO he should have had his ducks in a row instead of blaming the fire chief for his own negligence of not paying his bills. ::) ::) ;)
Well Put...He should have paid for the protection...Im sure that if he would have never had a fire he would have never paid the $75...It's a case of trying to buy car insurance after you caused an accident...

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I completely dissagree. Like many other issues, I feel it should not be about money to save a person's home. I think the idea of doing nothing is pathetic... Watching a man's home burn when the recourse is there is uncalled for. If we are going to give money to folks who do nothing, surely making sure all homes are protected from fire can be afforded.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
HookMeUp2 and walleye seeker are spot on here... and i completely agree with the statement that politics don't belong in the fire service, but, they are there.
roadkill... speaking as a former fire chief, you are what we refer to as a "cowboy" and i'd have bounced your arse quicker than you could blink if you ever pulled a stunt like that... probably for even talking like that... that kind of attitude is what gets people killed in the fire service and you should rethink your position on this subject or turn in your bunkers.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
sswan said:
Oyey said:
If we are going to give money to folks who do nothing...
Wait just a doggone minute here...We're giving money to people who do nothing?
Yeah its called congress...

·
Registered
319 Posts
Read the article at the start of the thread...his house burned down because he did not pay any money to the fire department for protection.

The feds don't fund local fire departments they are funded by your city and county.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts