Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some heartless A-holes stole several boxes containing all the parts and tools I need to build custom rods for disabled kids and vets. I'm disabled and I build custom rods that are specialized for each person's disability. My family and I just moved to Colorado so I can get treatment that's not available in Florida. I had the boxes in the garage while we're getting moved in and when my back was turned someone stole several boxes. The clothes and other things don't matter as much to me as the rod parts and tools. Thankfully I was left with the rod blanks and some ready made stuff that I give to disabled people I meet. In hopes of being able to build a couple of rods before the holiday I'm going to give rods or rod and reel combos to anyone who donates $20 or more. Please help me help others.
So you understand what it is I do I have attached some pictures of a rod I built for a teenager who used it to catch seven Tarpon down in the Florida Keys.
Thanks for your help
Jonathan

Attachments

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Not to be a "heartless a-hole" but I'm a little confused. It appears the kid doesn't have a tarpon in the pic and the additional pictures of rod and reel combos don't appear to be custom made. One of them is a South Bend Elan FC and another is a Ready 2 Fish Trout combo. Also, the strange use of your ? marks and all of the above makes me a bit skeptical of someone asking for donations.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not to be a "heartless a-hole" but I'm a little confused. It appears the kid doesn't have a tarpon in the pic and the additional pictures of rod and reel combos don't appear to be custom made. One of them is a South Bend Elan FC and another is a Ready 2 Fish Trout combo. Also, the strange use of your ? marks and all of the above makes me a bit skeptical of someone asking for donations.
The rods and combs I'm giving with a donation were given to me by South Bend, Okuma, Daiwa, and Dick's sporting goods. Yes the pic of him is with a grouper. I have a new phone and can'take find the Tarpon pic. I'll find it if it means that much to you. I don't understand what you mean by "marks"

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the pic of one of the Tarpon caught with a rod I built.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Incase you still aren't sure that I build custom rods here is a pic of the blanks, a rod I built in dedication of my grandfather, and my old hand wrapper that thankfully I put in the closet and didn't leave in the garage. If you need further proof PM me and you can come over and check it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I PM'd you both my address and phone number.
I have a few connections that give me basic stuff. But what I need are parts to build custom rods for disabled kids and vets. I'm disabled and I build custom rods for other disabled people. I use the little money I have and the few donated parts I get to build rods that are custom to each person's disability. I give these rods to them free of charge. I make no money off of any of the rods I build for the disabled.
If anyone else wants to curse me for giving all I have to help others then bring it on.
Attached is a pic I just took of a holo 3D wrap it did for practice earlier this year.

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
I PM'd you both my address and phone number.
I have a few connections that give me basic stuff. But what I need are parts to build custom rods for disabled kids and vets. I'm disabled and I build custom rods for other disabled people. I use the little money I have and the few donated parts I get to build rods that are custom to each person's disability. I give these rods to them free of charge. I make no money off of any of the rods I build for the disabled.
If anyone else wants to curse me for giving all I have to help others then bring it on.
Attached is a pic I just took of a holo 3D wrap it did for practice earlier this year.
Got your pm, will contact you tomorrow

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Truly out of curiosity, how do you make a fishing pole tailored to a specific disability?

Can you give some examples?

If you've been doing this for awhile you might consider starting a non-profit. Donations would be considered a charitable contribution and would more legitimize your work.

There are also many low cost platforms online that will allow you to create a simple website explaining your work and your mission.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Truly out of curiosity, how do you make a fishing pole tailored to a specific disability?

Can you give some examples?

If you've been doing this for awhile you might consider starting a non-profit. Donations would be considered a charitable contribution and would more legitimize your work.

There are also many low cost platforms online that will allow you to create a simple website explaining your work and your mission.
Actually I did start a non profit. I started it January 2014 and learned how to build custom rods. It's called Florida is Fishing and I even started a FB page under that name. However the first of this year I had to put everything on hold. First my mother-in-law was diagnosed with cancer. We had to go to Vietnam for three months to help her after her surgery. We would have stayed longer but my wife was pregnant with our second child. When we returned it found out that my stomach was is very bad shape from the disease Ehlers Danlos. The Dr had two worries 1 it could rupture or cancer could develop due to all the scar tissue. So on April 30th 80% of my stomach was removed along with some of my intestines. The combination of Florida heat and lack of Doctors that understand Ehlers Danlos in FL caused me and my family to move to Denver at the end of October. So I'm trying to start over here in Colorado. It would have been easier if someone hadn't stole all my rod making stuff. As for how you can make a rod tailored for someone's disability. In FL most people want to fish offshore for big fish. If you don't have the hand strength or other problems the fish can pull the rod out of your hands. The way I fix that is by doing a Robert's wrap or spiral wrap. This makes the butt of the rod push back towards you and not away from you. I also change the length of the rod's butt section and fore grip. There's a lot of things you can do to make it easier. There's even a self casting rod for people in wheel chairs and a self retrieving reel for people with only one hand. Like I said I'm new to Denver and I welcome visitors who want to help me to come over and meet me. PM me if you want to meet me and I'll send you my address.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What a warm welcome to Colorado you all have given me. I especially like how you have made fun of me because I'm disabled and help others that are disabled. You people are truly high class. So much for you all being sportsmen. I'm amazed that they even have a lost and found thread in this forum. Why don't you PM so I can give you my address so you can come spit in my eye in person. I'm disabled it should be easy for you. I'll even give my kids some candy so you can take it from them. A real bunch of nice guys!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
So many heartless assholes... SMH :mad::D

Got your pm, will contact you tomorrow
Let me know what you find out.

Theonethatgotaway, if you are legit , I'd willing to donate $20, but I don't need the rods. You can keep trying to resell them. And take it easy, we are a bunch of assholes on here, but many of us are assholes with a big heart. Many of us will give you a hand, if you are legit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Instead of hiding behind your computers give me a call. Instead of hating on someone trying to do good try helping for a change. Nut up or shut up.
941-704-1686

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Theonethatgotaway,

I realize some of the responses have been pretty harsh. Personally, I wouldn't give money to a stranger without a legitimate organization behind them. You're new to Colorado, maybe after setting up some roots you can find an existing organization that would take donations on your behalf and partner with your cause or get your NPO going again. Not sure why you didn't keep it going as I don't believe there are any renewal requirements for a 501(c)(3).
You probably are doing some good things for people, but with so many other crowdfunding options available this wasn't the best platform to be asking for donations.
It's not too late to start a Go Fund Me or something similar and post the link for members to donate.
Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
838 Posts
So many heartless assholes... SMH :mad::D

Let me know what you find out.

Theonethatgotaway, if you are legit , I'd willing to donate $20, but I don't need the rods. You can keep trying to resell them. And take it easy, we are a bunch of assholes on here, but many of us are assholes with a big heart. Many of us will give you a hand, if you are legit.
Same for me too.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
:peep:

Wow, we are all in such a festive mood this morning.... Love, peace and fortified hair grease O0 to all.

To the original OP: if you are indeed trying to do good things for those less fortunate; kudos to you and don't waste your time trying to defend yourself (your not helping your cause).

If you are not who you say you are; you've been shown the door!!!

As a whole there are many giving people here. Who, if they so choose, will contact and meet you in person. As a small business owner I get tons of phone calls and emails this time of the year asking for donations to something or other. I don't give anything away over the phone or via email.
There are hundreds of non-profits that are in need, but they don't handle their business this way.

Best of luck and try to see things from the other side....

·
Registered
427 Posts
I spoke with Theonethatgotaway(Jon)for a few minutes on break today. Came across like an alright guy that wants to help others. I may take a leap of faith and help him help others...

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Well, it would be nice to confirm he's legit... if so, he needs to learn a tad about internet forums and how things come off. Frankly I hope he's legit.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts