Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
me and a friend fished below the spillway, saw tons of red kokes, i caught a silver female and my friend caught a brick red male, i lost about 7 kokanee when i went to bring them up the wall, i saw a kokanee that must have been 26 inches there is some serious salmon there, i also caught two browns one 12 and one 18 inches, the kokes liked my pink tube jigs and also my silver and redish krocidile i got lots of them to hit, those damn soft mouths !!!, anyways it sucks it will be closed this coming saturday, they will start milking the salmon there soon, also stoped at williams fork and saw the nets were set and the buoy line was up, caught some brookies and rainbows in the inlet upstream from were the had the fence for the salmon, saw no salmon, in a couple weeks they will be at williams fork

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Thats a great looking fish, I love their hooked jaws.

·
Registered
121 Posts
to get to shadow mountain spill way take us hwy 34 north turn rigth into green ridge campground also know as grand county road 66 take 66 to the last camp ground turn left and follow the road to the lake. there is a parking area near the gate to the dam park there and you can walk down from there. dont block the dam gate the sheriff's department patrols that area regularly. while your there try the back side of shadow mountain my wife sunshine caught a huge brown trout back there about this time of year i'll try and ost a pic today

·
Registered
184 Posts
Were the salmon just in the immediate spillway area or spread out down to the inlet?

How are you sure the area will be closed as of Saturday? Sunday? The regs say October 15. I sure would rather go when it's open for sure...

Is there still a $5 daily fee to go in to the spillway/downstream area?

A buddy of mine said he went there on the 26th and didn't see or get much there in the way of salmon. He was there in the early morning til maybe noon.

What time of day would be best?

What's the limit for kokes?

Do you know if kokes or lakers or browns run up Arapahoe Creek?

Who's in charge of keeping the spillway open or closed... USFS?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anytime is good, its hard to get them to hit sometimes, i really have to work to get afew, i would start out early, i also dont like going on the weekends there is too many people down there, the limit is ten , but i havent got any limits there, i only keep acouple to smoke, i like krocidiles for jigging, the dow will close it whenever they want depending on the salmon, im not sure that they will close this saturday, if not it will be the 15th, i wont bother with those ones anymore, im off to gunnison area to fish for kokanee this weekend , the kokanee at shadow mountain spillway were just below the immediate spillway, i walked to coulimbine bay and and dident see any come up , my understanding is that the kokanee have been there all summer, as far as people catching them i dont see too many people fishing for them, thats all i do, forgot about trout, i caught a 19 inch brown when i was jigging for kokes, and yes there is always a 5 fee per day for the granby area , i have an anuual its only 20 dollars

1 - 9 of 9 Posts