Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to Chatty 3 days this week and the shad schools are being savaged primarily by wolf packs of smallies but also by trout, walleyes, perch and sunfish. Late afternoon has started the festivities with some impressive boils in shallower water. The fish have been responding to jigging retrieves with the majority of takes coming on the drop. This prompted me to switch to a fly rod with a heavily weighted cone headed or lead eyed white streamer. You need the heavy weight to achieve the jigging/dying shad action that the predators seem to be focusing on. Obviously, you want to utilize a stop and start retrieve with the pauses long enough to allow the fly to drop. I've been using a floating line with a long leader (10' - 12' with 0x tippet) and watch the floating line for twitches or pulls while the fly is paused. If the line moves at all, strike. Mostly using a heavier rod (8 weight) as it handles that unwieldy combo of heavy fly and long leader better and lessens the potential for whacking yourself. It also allows for achieving some greater distances to reach boiling fish. Generally, the catch has been relatively small bass (10" - 14") but there have been some surprises with smallies over 15", some (very few) keeper sized 'eyes and trout up to 20". The heavier gear allows for manhandling these smaller fish in abbreviated fights to minimize damage to them in the still low 70's water temps. Not too concerned about hotspotting because it's mostly a small fish bite- fun but with minimal impact to the fishery. Probably caught a total of 50 or more fish yesterday with half coming to the fly. Have at it.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Wow. Nice report Rattman. I hope to get back out somewhere on Saturday. Maybe I need to add Chatfield back to the list of prospects.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts