Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got skunked twice at the tub in C-springs. Only thing I saw and caught were some shad with my net. So back to the vice.. This is what I came up with.

Natural rabbit Zonker strip
Body, Pearl ice dub in a dubbing loop
Tied with a bead and propeller AKA Pistol Pete

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Bugz, I like your style man. You should post more, this place is getting moldy.

Skip the prop, add lead under wrap and big fucking eyes.

That is all.

SS

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks SS,
I was talking with one of the other fisherman there today who mentioned having some luck with standard pistole petes under a bubble at Prospect. I don't fish them often but every once in a while they have saved an otherwise blank day. Most recently early this spring at 11 mile. At the end of the day I was down to two black bugger PP and one South Platte Special PP. Decided I better restock and then found out that Sportsmans wants more than $2 for a PP. So I bought propellers instead. Just got around to playing around with them today. Once I get a half dozen done I will do a dozen with lead and eyes.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Tie little jig-fly propeller thingies for panfish. Have you ever caught a huge trout on prop-flies? Me neither. Terror-fish want meat.

"Saving the day" is salve for the Ego. **** the Ego. The Ego is a natural impediment to our development as anglers. The skunk has absolutely, positively NO significance. Shake your fist at the skunk. Ernest Hemingway got skunked. Zane Grey got skunked. I got skunked 18 times in a row a few years back, and rebounded with multiple PB's and great numbers overall. Not that that any of that matters to you.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My biggest on a pistole pete was a 18" brown on the N Platte near Walden. It was a Platte Special Pete. I tied these flies on #6 hooks for the eyes at Prospect. A bit bigger than the Shad I was netting today.

I have pulled most of my large trout out of the Ark tailwater on #20-24 midges. But my Terror-fish have been caught on mice at nite....

Salve for the ego or not I do prefer to catch a fish over the skunk.. And Hemingway turned his head into a canoe... I can only guess that he was skunked for too long!

That day I was getting the skunk at 11 mile I noticed some spin fishers chucking spoons and kastmasters and reeling in as fast as they could, hooking up on half their casts. Tried a fast retrieve with several streamers with no love. Then I saw those pistole pete's I had not fished in a couple of years. I think I learned a lesson that day.

I attached the heavy metal eyeballs and assholes version of the shad.:rockon:

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
My biggest on a pistole pete was a 18" brown on the N Platte near Walden. It was a Platte Special Pete. I tied these flies on #6 hooks for the eyes at Prospect. A bit bigger than the Shad I was netting today.

I have pulled most of my large trout out of the Ark tailwater on #20-24 midges. But my Terror-fish have been caught on mice at nite....

Salve for the ego or not I do prefer to catch a fish over the skunk.. And Hemingway turned his head into a canoe... I can only guess that he was skunked for too long!

That day I was getting the skunk at 11 mile I noticed some spin fishers chucking spoons and kastmasters and reeling in as fast as they could, hooking up on half their casts. Tried a fast retrieve with several streamers with no love. Then I saw those pistole pete's I had not fished in a couple of years. I think I learned a lesson that day.

I attached the heavy metal eyeballs and assholes version of the shad.:rockon:
Pretty dope ties...

(I shan't be returning to this section of the forum though) ;D

·
Registered
516 Posts
Timing is everything- I caught a 10 lb. grass carp on a small pistol pete, (not snagged, it definitely ate it) & have seen a 6 lb. wiper caught on the same color/ size pistol pete. The largest trout I've caught on one was about 4 1/2 lbs. They have their time & place.....

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Right now I got the time.... I will post pic, but I am predicting it to be a big ass pain... Dumbell eyes, so hook up. pine squirrel zonker, propeller w bead and a dubbing loop body on a size 12 coming up. Most likely a one of a kind.
But hey I recently tied a size #24 zug bug after a challenge on FB. Also a one of a kind ass pain.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
It came out OK. It is extra trouble with the dumbbell eyes to not crowd and push the bead up which prevents the propeller from spinning. A 3x long hook might work better to have more room for the body. The propeller did not want to spin once I put on the last wraps. But I was able to use the hole in the end of a pen to push it back enough for it to spin then added cement.:thumb:

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
It came out OK. It is extra trouble with the dumbbell eyes to not crowd and push the bead up which prevents the propeller from spinning. A 3x long hook might work better to have more room for the body. The propeller did not want to spin once I put on the last wraps. But I was able to use the hole in the end of a pen to push it back enough for it to spin then added cement.:thumb:
I've did this on a one-off clouser I tied once, I've caught over a dozen fish on that one fly, it sinks like a rock and it's a total chuck'n'duck fly. It hits the water and I start stripping about as fast as I can and it gets a reaction...

·
Registered
342 Posts
great ties and fun reading the comments. This one looks like you gave it Marty Feldman eyes!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is a great tie idea. Very nice Chewydog! So the hook eye is stuck through the swivel and lashed down? Very cool.:thumb:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts