Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last season i bought a nice single person, flip style sled/shanty - an eskimo. used it almost every time i ice fished. easy to pull, hold the gear and stuff i need. and it is roomy enough to fish two holes when down including having a small heater going and my vexilar. problem is the wind and slick ice.
so for those of you that have a shanty, really any style, what do you use as an anchor system and how do you rig it? just curious and hopeful of getting some good ideas to anchor mine. the second worst thing one can experience when ice fishing, next to falling through the ice, is seeing your shanty blowing across the ice (hopefully its not occupied)

thanks,

thom

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
metal tent stakes into the ice will hold it.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
sportsmans sells large screws for the ice. don't recall the price but they look pretty easy to use.

Dan

·
Registered
91 Posts
I asked this question last year and was told to go to a mountaineering store and pick up some ice anchors. Great advise. I did and they are really slick. They are self cleaning and they have a handle so you just screw them in. I went to the store in Golden and they had a bunch from prior years left over and I got them really cheap.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use railroad tie spikes. get them at a hardware store and they are cheap

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
an ice anchor to me that is pounded into the ice would not work, as the ice would shatter.  i would think the key is some sort of drill in thing, that can be backed out when done.  however if the hole gets wet or frozen that might make it near impossible to remove.
i rigged an anchor system that uses a T.  the T has an eye on the end where i tie a length of rope to.  i drill a hole with the auger, then drop the T into it, the tie the rope to the shanty.  i move the shanty away till i get a tight rope and the T pulls up against the bottom of the ice (in the hole).  kind of like a boat anchor.  works good if the wind stays in a contstant direction, but if the wind changes the shanty stays anchored but it moves.  it is a single point of anchor, not multiple.  the other problem is getting the T out of the hole.  i tied a short rope to one wing of the T and pull it and the T tips so it can come out of the hole.  not perfect for sure but at least the shanty does not blow away.
i think will investigate the ice anchors from a mountaineering shop.
thanks

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have never had a problem with pounding spikes in the ice. if they freeze in I just tap the sides with a hammer and they pop out. they have worked very well for me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use a 3/8" lag screw that is 7" long.   I put a big washer on it.   I use a speed handle to zip it into the ice.   It is easy to get in and out of the ice with no problems.   Works for me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I use the same thing that HonestDave uses and it's worked great for me for many years. To hold the flap down I use a conduit clamp with a lag screw. Providing the metal frame is partially exposed.

Tipup

·
Registered
405 Posts
I've used both the hand screws Dan speaks of and the lag bolts.

What I dislike about the handscrews is that they take a whhhiiiiiiiiiiillllle to turn and to bite into the ice.  That said, once they are in place they work great. The large "T" style head works well because once you slip your shanty loop rope over it, it's not slipping off again.

If you have a battery powerd drill with a socket for the lag bolts, then this is the ideal way to go for speed. The bolts set in place within seconds, and with the washer heads, your Shanty remains rock solid in place. 

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I just use 4" deck screws with 1" fender washers through some predrilled holes in my hut floor. I bring along my battery powered drill and it's held up to tremendous winds at 11 Mile. About as cheap as you can get too.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the deck screws are not a bad idea as long you don't mind a few holes in the bottom of the shanty sled floor and if you have room for a cordless drill. i am sort of pressed for space to bring the drill. but really a good solution. thanks

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Tekneek, I've used the same thing as your T, only with a nice chunk of 2x4. Works great, but if you have kids, ( or drunk fishing buddies) you gotta make sure they don't step in the extra hole in back of the house.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts