Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was planning on going out fishing today, this am the weather was 46, overcast, so I blew it off and went Ice Shanty Shopping...it turned it nice, but I am glad I went shopping...

I have spent quite a bit time researching Shanty's, there is some great stuff on this board, Ice Shanty and Youtube...there were a bunch of guys on Youtube with assembling Eskimo's, watching them was pretty helpful

I really fish solo, but decided to look for a 2 man in the unlikely event the wife wants to join me on a nice day....so I wanted light weight, portable...decent room...

I checked them all out, went to BPS, Cabella's, Sportsman, you name...pricing was pretty much the same with the same brands featured. Frabill, Clam, Shappell and only Eskimo pop ups...I know its kinda early but if u have a display, spend an hour training the guys about the product...there was very little insight available on the sales floor, I was glad I did my homework...

I picked up the Shappell Bay Runner...loved the equipment shelf, room, set up and take down....met all my criteria...

I also picked up 2 half inch EYEBOLTS and bolted them into the stern of the sled (I didn't think about it, but someone here mentioned a big wind taking it across the state line...I could see that happening!) to raft up to a couple of ice stakes...so I think that solved that concern, we shall see...

Assembly was very easy...90 minutes and I took my time....instructions were good, all the parts were there...nicely done...

The sled is better quality than I expected...strong, no soft spots, well made...

Cover went on well (unzip the doors when stretching it over the frame)

The skirt hem even went on well...

Only negative was lack of a back rest...If it is a problem, I can always bolt on a chair...

Very pleased with the purchase, need to order the Hyfax kit and cover...added a couple of rod holders, Ram mount for my Flasher even lit up my buddy heater...I am so stoked for Ice season....

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Now build yourself a Smitty Sled to haul all your gear and shanty. Good instructions on IS. Makes hauling gear over the ice and through snow a breeze.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL....I was in the garage ripping the bindings of my old Dynastars!!! Gonna wax em up and start looking at fabrication ideas tomorrow...Thanks for the push!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Not as yet...

The ice here is not thick snuff locally...I did have it up for my buddies to look over Thanksgiving weekend...the opinions all around were very positive....

As soon as can get out safely I will post a review...I really can't think of anything negative or foresee any issues with the design, construction or fishability...I did add the Hyfax kit....glad I did...

Best of luck with your decision

1 - 6 of 6 Posts