Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else do this? I found out I finally drew my Ram tag after 8 years of trying. I'll be starting my scouting soon in the Mt bierdstadt, hells hole, west chicago creek areas in the next months.

Has anybody been up Guanella pass road as far as the bierdstadt parking area yet? I wonder what the rads are looking like up there right now.

Brett

L

·
0 Posts
Wow, good luck. You going archery or rifle?

My brother in Alaska has a good herd of Dall's with about 4 or 5 full curl plus rams we're going to hunt. I've never hunt sheep or goat but I've wanted to for a long time. I think an archery sheep/goat would be perhaps the ultimate. Close second to taking one of the dangerous 5 with a bow.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I drew a rifle unit and will be starting out with my Bow.

Did the same thing with my Mt Goat. I missed a slam dunk shot with my bow, the snows came and since I was hunting Solo, Figured my life was worth more than my desire to get one with a bow so I ended up taking one with a rifle after 13 days of hunting. It was and is one of the things I will cherish the most in life.
Brett

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I didnt think they would be posted until May 4. I also put in for a sheep and goat tag. No luck so far, but was hoping I would get a tag for either this year.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up callinthe DOW. Denver said they could not access so I called Ft collins they told me I drew Sheep. I know others have called also. as of 30 mins ago, they were not on the website
Good luck in your draws
Brett

·
Registered
879 Posts
BNCO4, congrats on the license, good luck on the hunt. hunted goats there a few years ago and I know of a couple of people who harvested Rams there. Look at Sheep mountain also. just a bit further north of hells hole along the same ridge line. You might also want to check out the Chicago creek area. One of those rams harvested was in the middle of a group of twenty nannies. rams in the spring are not neccessarily in the same place as rams in the fall so don't get down if you don't see any early in the spring. Again, good luck

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Hunted up there last year during elk muzzleloader season and saw some great sheep. Excellent place to start not to bad of a hike either which for sheep is a bonus.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BNCO4, congrats on the license, good luck on the hunt. hunted goats there a few years ago and I know of a couple of people who harvested Rams there. Look at Sheep mountain also. just a bit further north of hells hole along the same ridge line. You might also want to check out the Chicago creek area. One of those rams harvested was in the middle of a group of twenty nannies. rams in the spring are not neccessarily in the same place as rams in the fall so don't get down if you don't see any early in the spring. Again, good luck
MORGAN!!!!!!!!..

Laughing,, It's Brett,,, We hunted goats up there at the same time. You got yours off Bierdstadt. I was camped in the West chicago creek campground and you stopped by to say hi.. Man,, thats cool.. 6 years later.. Amazing!!

Brett

·
Registered
879 Posts
Hey Brett, you must really like that place, good luck and get a good one. If I hear of anything I will let you know. Only two more years and we are in the game for goats again. Good to hear you are still kickin' :D

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya, still kickin,, While I was hunting goats up there, I spotted a large group of rams. There were several that were just HUGE So I have put in for that area ever since. Good to see your still around as well, I was re-reading all my Goat notes and came across your name and wondered how things were with you. Then I see you on this board kinda eerie..lol
:eek:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Well I didnt draw either tag so I will watch everyone else harvest those majestic animals. Good luck to all who did draw.......maybe next year for me.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
so do these animals taste good or is this strictly trophy huntting?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've never eaten Sheep so I can't comment there. The goat was actually not bad eating at all. I did make much of it into sausage and jerky but did have a couple of backstraps and they were not what I would call great, but it was not bad.
Brett

·
Registered
879 Posts
My brothers goat, the dogs wouldn't even go near it after they smelled it the first time. My goat was great tasting. Sheep is close to the best tasting meat there is. A close second to Mt.lion

L

·
0 Posts

Picture my brother just sent me of one of the rams in the herd we are going to hunt this fall. Apparently there are exactly 4 of them like this guy. He sent me several pictures but this was the best one.

·
Registered
699 Posts
man i will say this that that ram is maybe an inch or two from meeting or exceeding the state record and if there are four in the herd than a possible world record could be in your future my friend

M

·
0 Posts
AZBasser...I think Laker is going to Alaska. There was a press release by the DOW a few months ago about a huge ram down in the springs that died of natural causes. At least twice that size (not to take away from the ram in the picture). I've looked everywhere for the link - I can't remember if it was at the DOW, on The Post, or in the News. This thing died of natural causes and would have been a new record except nobody took it. Also talked about the disease that has been killing them off in recent years as well. The pictures were awesome.

Man, I wish I could find the link!

Personally, prefer wild pigs over sheep and goats but all wildlife is cool in my book!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
man the only reason to kill an animal is to eat it the size of the rack should mean nothing. just my $.02

L

·
0 Posts
The picture is of a Dall. I'm pretty sure Colorado has no Dall's, only Rockies and Deserts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts