Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a sled to make pulling my Eskimo shelter easier and it worked like a charm.

However 99% of the time I fish alone and even though the sled pulls great it is still a lot for one guy to move. I thought about making a different sled or getting a one man shelter but I decided to improve what I already had. I wanted an easy puller that could carry my Electra Lazer auger and my gear nothing more. I decided to cut down my cross bars add an extra slip fitting and some osb and I now have a great one man sled.

Also Just in case I can talk someone into fishing with me I resized my original cross bars so they will fit my shelter and used some small bolts and wing nuts to secure them, the old ones came loose when applying pressure from the side and I had to glue them in place.

So now I have one sled with two options. The nuts and bolts are a little clumsy but they work. I still want to add wheels to the rig for dry ground but that will have to wait for now. Also if you look in the back ground of the 2nd or 3rd photo you can see the Mr. Heater that took some of my eye brows, lashes and the hair that was sticking out from under my hat.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I like the added Plywood but don't forget to stain or paint it. So now you can go light or heavy with this setup. I'm still working on my Quick Flip and might try out the Runners on the bottom of it first. I guess I can have them cut from a shop and pay 1/3 what Eskimo wants for them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lefty,
You might try skis directly under your sled. Just use some osb on the inside of the tub to help keep the bolts from bulling through. That should make it easy to pull and allow you to sit on it wihtout any problems.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
We made a frame very similar to yours a few years ago for the BP2 we take out on most lakes. Friction holds most of the legs together, and we use snap pins to hold the top angles together. To keep the legs from splaying, we used some sheet aluminum (got for a song at Fastenal) and some tool clips - not perfect, but works well, and the whole rig breaks down basically flat. Standard high pressure schedule 40 pvc (thicker pipe wall) in a 1" diameter was the trick. Whole thing sets up in about 5 mins, drop the sled in, and get moving. Once you're there, pull the sled out, set up and get fishing.

The reason we didn't just attach skis to the bottom of the sled is that we didn't want to keep snowplowing like we have in the past with our smaller hut - even pulling through 6" of powdered sugar snow gets really old really fast. With the hut up off the snow, it pulls like a dream, and that's with auger, vexilars, chairs, heater, rods, etc in the sled. I'm usually just pulling the small sled with the food backpack - pretty easy for me.

Best investment was for one of those Clam 'sled pulling harness' kits - yeah, it's expensive, but comes with webbing straps (no crappy rope) and carabiners, and a body harness that fits like proper backpack straps - really distributes the load *correctly* and is easier to don and ditch than a standard deer drag. Just replaced the rope with some eye bolts, fender washers, and locknuts, and what a difference. Likely would have spent more creating our own - they really put a lot of thought into this. Well made and excellent hardware.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts