Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
P I K E
10,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting one for swimbaits and wondered if anyone here has one and what do you think of them. How does the 11.6oz wt feel after tossing 4-6oz swimbaits all day? THX in advance for any replies!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I not sure what model that I used, but I used a Calcutta last year salmon fishing and it was an awesome reel. It was very balanced and smooth.

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Im sure hucking a couple pounds all day will feel GREAT!

Theres just so many HUGE fish in the area-

There's like 30 of you swimbait guys lobbing hooked logs for the same 10 fish!

·
P I K E
10,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im sure hucking a couple pounds all day will feel GREAT!

Theres just so many HUGE fish in the area-

There's like 30 of you swimbait guys lobbing hooked logs for the same 10 fish!
Go big or go home bud...just need to know where to go and what to go after!!! ::)

I not sure what model that I used, but I used a Calcutta last year salmon fishing and it was an awesome reel. It was very balanced and smooth.
THX reel!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Shimano parts support is not good.

Just a note on Shimano, as I've mentioned before, Shimano, from my experience does NOT stand behind their products for very long. I've had one instance with the 30/50 Beastmasters that they stopped supporting in less than 5 years and own 5 Stellas that are all about 5+ years old and have been told they NO LONGER HAVE PARTS for these reels, the are "OBSOLETE" per Shimano. A $700.00 +/- reel that is 5 years old is not supported.
Buyer Beware!!!!!
Bill

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
It's a decent reel. Would not be my first choice though... I have only fished the DC and while I like it for casting, the reel itself is not what I want to handle all day. Shimano Curado 300 is what I would get. More bullet proof and easier to handle. I like my lexa 300s but I have had issues with them being too delicate.

·
P I K E
10,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a note on Shimano, as I've mentioned before, Shimano, from my experience does NOT stand behind their products for very long. I've had one instance with the 30/50 Beastmasters that they stopped supporting in less than 5 years and own 5 Stellas that are all about 5+ years old and have been told they NO LONGER HAVE PARTS for these reels, the are "OBSOLETE" per Shimano. A $700.00 +/- reel that is 5 years old is not supported.
Buyer Beware!!!!!
Bill
That thread is why I'm asking! Have a great deal going on a NIB reel so really won't feel as bad if it screws up 5 yrs down the road.

Puh-leeeze!

Ill be waiting patiently for the pics- of your surgically reconstructed labrum-
LMAO!!! Here's one caught on a Dynamo...

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
I catch them like that on a 3/8 oz tube jig or 1/4 oz. kasty-

Much less effort!

·
P I K E
10,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL!!! Anybody can catch a fish on a 3/8 oz tube jig...you need a challenge!!! Try a 16lb Wiper on a Hudd bud...will run your azz off trying to get it in!!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Get the Curado 300e. I have two and love them. I caught 34 Wipers last year from 5-14 lbs. About half of them were on Swimbaits! This year my goal is to catch a 20 lb Pike. If it happens my guess will be it will be on a swimbait?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have a calcutta 200 and a 250, been using them without any issue for over 10 years. They are two of my favorite reels.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
You can use that same rig to throw big spinnerbaits and large Rattle traps. That's another good way to catch big Wiper's.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts