Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read great reviews on the Stradic, but curious about how the other(cheaper) models perform. I'm looking to get a new setup for myself and a cheaper combo for my 5 (5 1/2 as he would state) year old son.

List of models-

Sidestab
Sienna
Solstace
Spirex
Symetre
Sedona
Sahara
Sonora

I'm looking for pros & cons-

THANKS

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have been using SideStab for a while now...no coplaints here. Smooth and trouble free for the price. I really enjoy the fact that the drag knob is behind the reel...easy to adjust on the fly...I think the con of this reel is that it most likely will not last as long as the more expensive models.

But...price was the deciding factor....

Pondfisher

·
OG LOKE
18,957 Posts
All i fish is Shimano reels...what are you looking to fish with it?
I have fished all the models you specified.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I fished the Stella and Symetre in saltwater...and found they dont handle it that well. they lock up and are hard to clean...so you really have to be careful not to submerge them. i fish the Sahara on my catfish rods...and love them. i think i own 5 or 6 Shimanos....

Now i fish Quantums....those are great....very smooth, they make my Symetre feel like...well, not junk, but not as good. i like the Kinetic and the Catylist...they dont wear out and are very durable. if you havnt seen one you should check them out...they won me over, and are about in the same price range....

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the review.

k0diak- I fish for everything, but main targets are wiper, white bass, & catfish.

Rottal- I'm currently using the Quantum Kinetic & Catylyst Pti. I love them. Looking to get another combo, but thought I would buy one of the Shimanos.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have been using a Sedona all spring and I love it. I believe you get what you pay for (generally speaking) so next time I'll probably get one of the more expensive models, but for around $50 I would rate the Sedona very well. It's smooth, the anti-reverse is flawless, and I like the fighting drag now that I'm getting used to it (I lost 2 big walleyes earlier this year because I turned the drag the wrong way at the wrong time :'( )

I like that Shimano includes an extra spool with most of its reels. I spool one with super line and the other with lighter mono or fluoro so I can switch from jigging walleyes in the rocks to vertical jigging/bait fishing for perch in about a minute without having to carry a whole extra rod on my little pontoon boat.

I used a Stradic on my trip to South Dakota for 'eyes last summer and it is a fantastic reel, but I don't see myself buying a $200+ reel until I have a $200+ rod to put it on...

·
Registered
124 Posts
I use a symetre and a sahara for both wiper and white bass. I love them both but prefer the symetre. It spools the line better and is a smoother feel. IMO>

·
Registered
674 Posts
Its been my expirence that the higher end models become increasingly smoother all around. The reel is much more balanced, the drag is a little more fine tuned, and the higher end models reel easier too. I have mostly Stradics but I also own a Symmetry. The symmetry is a great real for the money but again just not as smooth as the stradics. The standard price for the symmetries is about $80 and the stradics are normally $120.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I can't speak for the Quantoms? But I am sure they are good reels. I have two Stradics and a Symetre and have no complaints. If you do alot of casting with Jerkbaits I highly recommend the Stradics, (very light and smooth).

·
Registered
833 Posts
Ditto on the Stradics. I like to the lightest weight tackle I can get away with. I use the smallest Stradic with 4 lb test and spare spool with 6 lb test.
The drag is smooth and the reel performs well.
If your thinking of a Shimano spend the extra $40.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts