Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. I have a question for you Shimano faithful out there. My buddy's looking at getting a spinning reel, and I have a Shimano Symetre that I love. My question is, does anyone have experience with the Spirex or Sahara, and what do you see as the important differences between the three reels? I place a pretty high importance on having a high gear ratio, as I fish a lot of mountain streams and just consider it a lot easier to spin fish there with a reel that has at least a 6:1 gear ratio. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Keith

·
Registered
674 Posts
I own a couple of Stradics and a Symmetry as well. One of my stradics is an older model but the quality of the reels makes them well worth the purchase. The newer model stradic and symmetries have a slower oscillating bail that lays the line down more smoothly. This relates to longer casts and less bird nests in my opinion. I don't know if the other models have these features but I wouldn't recommend anything below a symmetry Hope this helps.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The last two reels I've bought have been Spirex. Bought one about 10 years ago, and if casting all day long, I always seemed to go with the trigger reel. Like Ken said, the instant anti-reverse is nice, if the Spirex had that, they would be the perfect reel for me.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The symetre lays line a lot more evenly on the spool than the sahara. I own one of both and like my sahara but love my sym.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Not to steal the thread, but on the discussion of reels, I bought a a Quantum Energy PTi-a and love it. From what I can tell there is not a difference between it and the the Stradic, though the Quantum bail design seems to have less line whip as it opens 30% farther. So my question is, it worth buying the Stradic to compare? I think the Stradic is about $20 less at $119 right? Has anyone used both? I do like how the bail closed on the Quantum compared to the Stradic and finish, and thats why I bought it. Played with both for a few hours, still thinking about picking up the other, but wanted to see what everyone here thought?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I have two Stradics that is use for casting lures that are great reels. I have been using Spirex for 10 years on my jigging rods and loved them! I lost one last summer to a jet skier and had another give up the ghost recently. I wanted to get new one's so I could keep using all the 2000 series spools I have! Shimano has gone to the 2500 series and I found out my Stradic spools are interchangable with the Symetre 2500. I also like the new handle on the symetre!!!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the great replies, guys. To me I guess it looks like the symetre is the way to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts