Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been seeing a lot of anglers on youtube using this reel.

It got me thinking, what makes this reel worth $220 (on sale ~$170)?

Is it weight?

Is the drag that superior to say a Pflueger President that is ~1/2 the sale price of the Stradic?

What makes the high end reels truly worth the money?

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
I been toying with that same idea. Its very light which is a good thing when you cast a 1000 times per day. Dont know about the drag vs. a fluger. I have 10 shimanos. The drags are second to none-

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Dallas,

It's all personal preference when it comes to costs.

I fished Shimano almost entirely for the first thirty years and then had some bad luck with the rear drag models. I tried a variety of different manufacturers and ultimately went back to the higher end Shimano's. I don't regret it one bit....

You can find them on Ebay auctions for almost 1/2 at certain times of the year if you have the time to work the auctions. I picked up 5 of the 6 that I own from there. I've paired them with Shimano Jackall Poison Adrena and Expride Rods which are Ci4 material.

Can't beat the smoothness, feather light weight or drags on them. Especially if you are serious about fishing and casting more than a few 100 casts per outing. They handle braids very well.

Price vs. Budget is always a factor. So everyone has their own personally preference in that regard. But, I'd rather sink $300-$400 into a set-up that is going to last than buy new rods and reels every few years. Spending that kind of $$ tends to make me extra careful not to break tips off while transporting or tossing rods around.

Nothing against Pflueger reels (I still have a few), but I like rods and reels that are paired for each other and Plueger rods are junk IMO. Even Shimano's low end rods (Convergence,etc) are good quality rods.

I will add if you sink that kind of money into gear you should also spend the few extra bucks each year to service them and make sure they last no matter what the brand.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
$153 at Cabela's. Saw it on sale a few days ago at the Thornton store. Butter smooth.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
$153 at Cabela's. Saw it on sale a few days ago at the Thornton store. Butter smooth.
I was there looking for a Pflueger President LE since they advertised them on sale for $64. Online said they had them in stock but they didn't even have one... in ANY size.

But I found a Fenwick Silver Hawk 7' Medium spinning rod for $30 in the bargain cave and a Quantum Trax spinning reel for $10.

I was looking for a Medium spinning rod for weightless senkos and drop shotting. The 7' is too long to pitch and flip from shore but I love my other Fenwick and the price was too good to pass up.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
For Co. no.
I've used the Stradic for many years, even ice fishing they used to be less than half the price. The Sahara (that I use for kings) is a great light reel at a fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have a couple Shimano reels and like them if they have the front drag. I do have a Stradic but I haven't used it enough to tell if I will really like it. Right now it is on a Fenwick rod that is too heavy an action for my liking. Seems smooth operating.

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
Shimano makes my favorite reels... but that's not to say there is anything wrong with others. I have a Penn spinning reel that is sweeeet and I got it on sale for $40. The Sahara is a great reel and has basically the same drag as many higher end models.

I encourage people to be realistic with a budget. If you have plenty of extra money to spend on fishing, then using all high end stuff is fine... but if you have $300 to spend and have no quality set ups, It's far wiser to buy 3 $40 reels and 3 $60 rods so you can be versatile rather than buying a $130 reel and $170 rod.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
...if you have $300 to spend and have no quality set ups, It's far wiser to buy 3 $40 reels and 3 $60 rods so you can be versatile rather than buying a $130 reel and $170 rod.
This has been my mentality lately. I have had a limited arsenal but slowly acquiring a few decent setups. I picked up a Fenwick Silver Hawk spinning rod at the bargain cave last week for $30 and a Quantum Trax reel for $10.

It was really nice going out on Sunday with 4 rods all setup differently and ready to rock!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Shimano makes my favorite reels... but that's not to say there is anything wrong with others. I have a Penn spinning reel that is sweeeet and I got it on sale for $40. The Sahara is a great reel and has basically the same drag as many higher end models.

I encourage people to be realistic with a budget. If you have plenty of extra money to spend on fishing, then using all high end stuff is fine... but if you have $300 to spend and have no quality set ups, It's far wiser to buy 3 $40 reels and 3 $60 rods so you can be versatile rather than buying a $130 reel and $170 rod.
Truth.

·
Registered
406 Posts
This has been my mentality lately. I have had a limited arsenal but slowly acquiring a few decent setups. I picked up a Fenwick Silver Hawk spinning rod at the bargain cave last week for $30 and a Quantum Trax reel for $10.

It was really nice going out on Sunday with 4 rods all setup differently and ready to rock!
I am probably like dallasdb, I have a few decent rods and reels that I like. One has a Daiwa reel that I really like. Back to the Stradic, I picked it and a Fenwick rod up at a flea market. Total cost....................................$14.00.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts