Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the thread on "Terrible Lures", I wanted to share this.

http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/waxwing.html

After fishing salt water off the California coast, I bought four sizes of the saltwater version to try in Colorado for pike. My only chance to use them before I moved out of country was ice fishing 11 Mile. Put a smaller one on my pike rod and let it do its thing from just under the ice to the bottom. Amazing lifelike action as it flutters down. Two jigs later and one of the largest trout, thought it was a pike at first, I've ever seen came flying out of nowhere and hit it. Too surprised for a hook set but it hung around for a least ten minutes bumping the lure, fantastic excitement. The trailing double hooks made hook up impossible as the trout always stuck the side of the lure. Wish I'd had the fresh water version with the belly hooks. I never did get any pike to come in but on multiple occasions had smaller trout bump it. I think this lure could be dynamite in open water casting or trolling for trout and pike and hope one of you puts that theory to the test. :thumb:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts