Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster long time reader!!  What a great resource and site this is! 

Fished Chatfield the other night just to get out for a while, despite the rain and cold temps.  When we got to the West Ramp there were thousands of Shiner in the marina.  Sounded like it was raining there were so many jumping out of the water.  I knew it was going to be a tough nite fishing with the pressure change from the weather and all the food to compete with.  Sure enough got skunked after about 3 hrs fishing.  Seems like Chatfield is dead right now or I am not doing the right thing for the Walleye or Smally's .  Any suggestions?

Thanks again for any insight and Thanks to the moderators managing this site.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Welcome to the site F-16.

You are right Chatfield is a tough nut to crack right now. Some smallies being caught and a few trout too. I was out for a few hours this afternoon. got 2 'bos one on crawler rig with leeches on both hooks. The other on a shrimp tail 10 feet below a slip bobber. Both nice sized in the 14 inch range.

Dan

PS once the lake gets cold enough alot of those shad will die.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Welcome to the site & thanks for the report.

BTW, Those may be shad your seeing not shiners.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i saw ya lurking for a long time glad to finaly here from ya! if them shinners were breaking on the surface there might have been something chaseing them at times like that a walking the dog ro slashing retrieve of a thin minnow shaped topwater might have done it or any minnow bait withan erratic retrieve to try to imitate a wounded bait could have done it

and Jays probably right was probabyl shad and not shiners if so same as above but with shad shaped baits

good luck next time let us know how you do

1 - 4 of 4 Posts