Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know you can set a transducer to shoot thru the bottom of a boat and have heard that you can shoot it thru the ice some refferances say to suspend the transducer in a small bucket of water. this would make it easy to scout new areas atleast for looking for depth not haveing to drill a hole to get that info would save some time. has anyone had success using a finder thru the ice? if so how did you do it and how well did it work/

·
Registered
904 Posts
Carry a bottle of salt water with you. Just squirt some on the ice and set your ice ducer in the puddle. If the ice isn't to clouded with bubbles this works great. You can even mark fish through clear ice.
Dan

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
we just put reg water on the ice no salt water, and if you are in a trap style shelter after running the heater for a while you should have some melted ice near your holes to set the transducer in,it only takes one lost fish due to wrapping up in the transducer to make it one of the first things you get out of the hole when you get a fish on.and the ice does have to be pretty clear to get a accurate reading.

·
Registered
935 Posts
You're right, Ken. The salt is to keep it from freezing.

I just used my new fishfinder to shoot through 12" of ice at Parvin Lake to read depths before drilling holes and to look for structure (or lack thereof). The 200K lowrance transducers can definitely handle this without a problem. It should work better with a salty brine to help transmit the sonar.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks Cutthroat.   I had never thought about adding salt.   Good idea. I'm going to 11 mile Tue and Wed and will try it.

Dave

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good idea about the salty water to keep it from freezing, it wont help the transmision any if any thing it would hurt it but with just a small amout cant see that it would make a diff. salt water is more dense and all fish finders have a greatly reduced depth capacity in salt water

i wonder if a little alcohol/water would work to prevent freezing and would that be less harmfull to the enviroment than adding salt any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I don't think the quantity of salt used to keep a gallon of water from freezing would have any impact. You would have to dump a "ton" to see any change in the salinity of even a small reservoir.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
roadkill said:
good idea about the salty water to keep it from freezing, it wont help the transmision any if any thing it would hurt it but with just a small amout cant see that it would make a diff. salt water is more dense and all fish finders have a greatly reduced depth capacity in salt water

i wonder if a little alcohol/water would work to prevent freezing and would that be less harmfull to the enviroment than adding salt any thoughts?
Its just to clear the ice of snow and debris so that you can set the trasducer on clear ice.... The only point of shooting through the ice is to find the depth you want to fish at, which these sonars are capable of doing... Then you cut holes and put the transducer in the water so you can mark fish.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
antifreeze? are you kidding why not just dump some used motor oil on the ice. you might think the little that you might use wont hurt anything but hey would you want urine in you drinking water even just a little? comon have a little respect for the enviroment

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
roadkill said:
antifreeze? are you kidding why not just dump some used motor oil on the ice. you might think the little that you might use wont hurt anything but hey would you want urine in you drinking water even just a little? comon have a little respect for the enviroment
Most anti-freeze is non toxic bio degradable now. I guess too many people giving it to their noisy neighboors dogs or something. :p
But I'd still use salt water its cheaper.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the curren antifreeze is Less toxic but it is still nasty most many areas require mechanics to recycle it and fine them if they send it down the drain

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
some antifreeze are low toxin(note low) not zero toxin, i would never put any antifreeze in water(as long as you are talking automotive antifreeze) i work in the automotive industry and they require all shops to recycle all types not just the old stuff..

·
Registered
935 Posts
roadkill said:

Man, I don't think you could carry enough salt to be harmful. Besides, we mostly have reservoirs with some flow-through, here. salt doesn't stay put. Most aquatic organisms can handle a little salt in their water, too. Trout have no problem with it at all.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Cutthroat said:
roadkill said:

Man, I don't think you could carry enough salt to be harmful. Besides, we mostly have reservoirs with some flow-through, here. salt doesn't stay put. Most aquatic organisms can handle a little salt in their water, too. Trout have no problem with it at all.
There probably is more salt on soft plastics fished in these waters then what gets threw the ice after it melts, from a spray bottle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts