Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an old time float tuber, but prefer due to age, to fish from shore most of the time now. I fish for Panfish, Bass, Trout, etc. or as I like to say whatever is on the other end of my line.:smile:

Anyway, am curious as to what others who fish from shore prefer to use to carry their gear and tackle around. Not really looking to carry around a large tackle box full of everything................... Thought I would get a few other ideas from the folks here on the forum.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I use a backpack, packed with unnecessary amounts of stuff that I hardly ever use. The day I take that stuff out though I need it...I use plano boxes for lures and such, they fit in a backpack quite well.

There are also those tackle bag that are over the shoulder, they seem to hold a good amount of stuff. I got a couple buddies who use them and they like them their just not my thing.

Tackle binders are extremely useful too for certain baits

·
Registered
116 Posts
I use a 5 gallon bucket with a canvas tool insert. I keep hooks, sinkers and other stuff in pockets and my pole holders, boxes and brews go inside.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I've tried everything, tackle bags, boxes, buckets, but a smaller backpack works best for me. It keeps me mobile, and I can pack light for a quick after work trip, or load it up for an all day hike

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I have two different size backpacks. One for when I don't want to move around much and a smaller one that I use on the rivers and streams.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I don't see how you guys use 5 gallon buckets and stay mobile? I know a guy who uses a 5 gal but only when we are fishing one spot, I can't imagine hauling around a 5 gal bucket all day long, hitting your shins every step you take :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all of you who took your time to respond and give me some things to think about. It certainly sounds like mobility is important and that is why I did not want to get stuck lugging around a tackle box full of everything. I would be tired by the time I got too the water in that case. I have not explored the backpack idea, but, would check into them. How long can you lug the backpack around or do you take it off occasionally when you anchor at a spot on shoreline? I have a couple of bags that are over the shoulder I have been trying.

·
Registered
988 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I take my backpack off from spot to spot, somedays I will pack light and bring a single rod and walk and cast, but I usually have a few specific spots in mind I go to

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Backpack,
I would think a bucket would make lots of noise with stuff rattling inside and when you set it down on rocks. also better chance of it tipping over if not on a flat surface.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I have several options that I use depending on the circumstance. I have a small hunting backpack that's sort of like a fishpond fly pack or something. Then I have a bucket with the seat top/storage. And then I have my school backpack which holds the most by far. The buckets good for soaking bait and ice fishing. The small pack is good for flyfishing when a couple small containers can hold all the flies/gear I'll need. When I'm spin fishing and walking around, I carry my regular backpack. It has more than enough room for several planos, food, water, line and more.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Even better than a bucket is a 12 pack cooler for ice fishing and bait dunking...protects your stuff better is rectangular and utility boxes fit better in it and the flat top coleman ones make a good chair and they dont weigh much more than a bucket...a coupe of frozen water bottles and in a cooler they are slow to melt giving you a cold drink...sometimes in the early spring I will take a cooler for a chair when I need to fish slow...I fish too fast sometimes and it slows me down...

Mobile after dark shoreline fishing a backpack works best...

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
If I'm on the go, or want to go light, ...a fishing vest. Has multiple pockets for various lures/jigs,..amazing what one can put in there,...helps keeping things separate, and I don't have to take it off to change up.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts