Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have to admit, frog fishing is the ish. It's also not as easy as it looks. Especially for someone like myself that has really only been doing it for a couple days. I set up my camera phone on the dock and then a canoe to capture some topwater bass fishing wins. I ended up only capturing fails, instead. Using my phone definitely wasn't ideal but it's all I have right now. I did eventually land some fish but nothing to write home about. I plan on getting another gopro soon so I can start making legit videos. Unless someone can recommend something better around the same price.... Do any of you guys have experience with action cams besides the GoPro? I had the hero 2 and loved it so I'm leaning toward the hero 5 now but there are a bunch of cheaper options like the SJCam SJ6 legend. I can get three legends for the price of one GoPro which would be very advantageous. I'm getting soooo stoked for the fall!!!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucqn3P6BaPw

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Vids are cool.. frog fishing is absolutely a blast! I had a couple 20+ fish days this year on frogs and I can't lie, it was about as much fun as i've had fishing in a long time.

As for gopro...as the saying goes, loose gopros sink ships!!! :lol:

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Hey man, one other thing... I learned a tip that helped keep fish stuck on those big hooks... a couple tips actually.

The first and most important is to bend your hooks up juuust a tad. Most frogs are so weedless that the hooks point down a tad into the body of the bait. Bending the hook open just a tad makes the hook point ride a tad higher and your hook up/keep on ratio will improve.

Next, (and you may be doing this already) is use heavy braid and a fast reel... You really have to put the spurs to the fish to bury the hooks, and zero stretch helps. The fast reel will help too.

Last, shorten the legs of the frog.. Super long legs promote shorter strikes and less chance of getting the hooks stuck in a good spot.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Hey man, one other thing... I learned a tip that helped keep fish stuck on those big hooks... a couple tips actually.

The first and most important is to bend your hooks up juuust a tad. Most frogs are so weedless that the hooks point down a tad into the body of the bait. Bending the hook open just a tad makes the hook point ride a tad higher and your hook up/keep on ratio will improve.

Next, (and you may be doing this already) is use heavy braid and a fast reel... You really have to put the spurs to the fish to bury the hooks, and zero stretch helps. The fast reel will help too.

Last, shorten the legs of the frog.. Super long legs promote shorter strikes and less chance of getting the hooks stuck in a good spot.

Hope this helps.
Good tips. What brands have you been doing good with?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts