Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out and hit the Valco ponds yesterday on the ice; after this latest spell of cold weather, the lid that was already froze, was safe enough to fish (finally). Started the day out by my bro & Ty sending me out to be the Guinea Pig for testing the ice thickness. Slowly........I worked my way out drilling to make sure: it was an average of 3~4in; but there is some soft spots, thinner ice, and water showing through where the springs are located (so be very careful if anyone decides to fish it!). The fishing was pretty slow: I hit three Perch right off the bat, Ty caught three throughout the entire time we fished, and Njh got the skunk. Had a few other various hits...but really nothing much to write home about. Perch were caught on a variety; three on tear drops, two on Kastmasters, one on a tiny marabo jig (all with waxies). Just thought I would give, mainly, a conditions report. Remember the ice is a little scary, but good and clear. And I think we probably would have done better earlier in the morning? Anyways..

Thanks for reading: tight lines & warm hands!!

D.J.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SOUTH51 said:
good to know I was also thinking of hitting it yesterday but couldnt find anyone to go with me!
Next time it gets cold enough, and safe, hit me up for some fishing...we'll try and find the larger fish in there.
GrumpieGills said:
dj ice fishes ??? ;D glad to see u got on down there brotha.
Hell yeah I ice fish!! Thanks man...we need to hit up on the ice sometime.
catfishking said:
nice never thought those ponds would be ice fishable
Yeah, we fished them once last year on the ice (man it was way unsafe though). Hopefully it will get really cold again, then I can guarantee I'll be there again!

Thanks everyone!
D.J.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Sad thing the warm front is coming back :( i was the first person out there measuring ice, and i didn't even fish it, its really going to be unsafe ice in the next two days.....OFF TOPIC....... anyone fishing the pueblo river tourney???

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dyinghero27 said:
Sad thing the warm front is coming back :( i was the first person out there measuring ice, and i didn't even fish it, its really going to be unsafe ice in the next two days.....OFF TOPIC....... anyone fishing the pueblo river tourney???
I know...I want it to get cold again so I can get out there! I'm not, I will be Duck hunting. But I did fly fish the river yesterday for a bit: action was pretty consistent, and I lost around a 17~18in beautiful red Cutt near shore. @&*#it anyways!!!!! :D

D.J.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts