Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been to Blue Mesa many times, usually for 3-4 days. This summer I would like to stay longer, maybe a week, but we do not want to go a week without a shower. We do not have an RV, so that leaves us with getting a cabin or using a shower somewhere.

We like to camp on the lake, so getting a cabin for a night means we would have to pull up camp and put the boat on the trailer for a night. I see that the Curecanti website says they have showers at Elk Creek and Lake Fork campgrounds. My wife is a bit freaked out about what a public Curecanti shower will look like.

My questions are… Has anyone used the Elk Creek campground showers? If so, how are they, especially the women’s shower? Are they clean? Are they dark? Are there stalls or is it just one big happy family? Are they walking distance from the shore if we beach the boat and walk to the showers? Anything else worth knowing?

Thanks,
RD

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
There are showers at the Elk Creek campground. I thought the men's were ok but my wife won't be going back there again. ::). There were issues with drainage. As in, standing water up over your ankles.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I was afraid of. No way my wife would go in something like that. I guess we are pulling camp, loading the boat, and getting a room/cabin somewhere.

Thanks for the info...

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
We were there last year. I checked out the showers, but didn't use them (I have an RV).

I didn't think they were bad, and didn't notice standing water.

When are you going? We will be back there over Memorial Day. I could give you an updated report at that time if you remind me.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Some years ago I stayed at the Lake Fork Cabins a couple of times, just above the downstream basin (Sapinero) and they were quite nice, and very close to the boat ramp near the dam. Might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
RD, my dad stayed at the KOA which is on the north side of the lake about 2-3 miles east of the Elk Creek Campground... he loved that place, it's almost as close as Elk Creek and he said the showering facility is great... just a thought. I am leaving to BM Thursday for 4 days!!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks gents. I am planning a 4-day trip with "the guys" first of June. We can go 4 days without a shower. But the week long trip will be the first of August. If anyone can post an update before then, that would be great. If not, we will check out the showers then when get there and make a decision then.

And thanks for the recommendation on the KOA. If we do pull camp, it will be something close by like that. Might even splurge and get a cabin at the Blue Mesa Recreational Ranch.

By the way... Does anyone know if you can tie up your boat at the Elk Creek dock while you eat at the restaurant?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Been going there for close to 15 years if you are a true camper you learn to wear boat shoes, flip flops, water shoes to the showers. Are they clean as you house no, are they private yes, run in take a shower and don' forget the quarters they are 3 dollars for 10 minutes of hot bliss after being on the lake all day. You have to camp in the camp ground though no beach camping, Elk creek is the only one with showers, marina and a restaurant. Had some great fishing experiences there and last year was the worst I have ever had but what a beautiful place to be catching fish or not

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
You can definitely tie up at the dock for food... You can also leave your boat there for about $15 a night.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts