Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I don't ice fish. I'm always fishing open water-mostly for bass and walleye. Trout if nothing else is biting. (But its like kissing your sister). We're having a warm winter but the wind has been non-stop. Its hard (impossible) to vertical jig with the wind over 15 MPH. The senko, another good winter bait on shallower lakes, I can't even throw with the wind we've had. Same with the J&P. Seems like everywhere I go, I get to fish 'til 10, maybe 11 am then it gets too windy to do any of my winter techniques justice so I pack up and go home.

I just wanted to rant a little. The air temps have great this winter but this wind wears you out. Enough already.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I don't like the wind either, but I fish anyway. I decide before I leave the house where I am going to have to fish, based on where the wind is coming from. There is almost always a lake or pond somewhere, where I can find a place to stand with my back to the wind. (And boy, does it put some distance into my casts!) I wear a jacket with a hood on it when it's windy, keeps my head and ears warm and improves the experience a lot when the wind is behind me.

For example, I fished Lon Hagler res. for about 3 hr. this afternoon in a howling gale, big whitecaps all over the lake. But there was a sheltered spot behind a high bank where I could cast from. Caught only one 14" trout (released) but it sure beats dying slowly in the recliner.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Yep, really windy.

I'm glad to know wind effects others.

I was going to go to Chatfield today to test out my newly installed trim tabs and forward kicker controls...and do a little "ice fishing" off my boat. But, it was breezy at my house (usually worse on the water) so I decided it might not be the greatest day for the kids. I decided to wash the all the dust off the boat and watch some football, it is ice fishing season afterall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts