Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen one of the Humminbird side imaging sonar units yet? The screen pictures on their web site look a little hard to interpret. The $2000 price tag might scare a lot of people away. But on the other hand it might be the next big thing in fish finder technology.

Here's a link to the site:
http://www.humminbird.com/

W. E.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i dont know if the humingbird models are similar but we used to use what we called side scaning sonar in the ocean it would send out a vertical oval beam parralel to the surface and would scan back and forth it wasent for looking at the bottom but for finding schools of bait near the surface off to the side of the boat the cheep ones were better that 5 grand and you really needed to spend 8-10K for a decent one but man they could show you things maybe 3 hundred feet on either side of the boat and reely sped up the search process and kept us from missing pods of bait that we may have other wise run right by i could imagine this being a reel boone to finding wipers

·
Registered
117 Posts
I dont know about spending that kind of money on sonar. You still got to have the gift of knowing how to catch the fish you are targeting and present the right kind of bait and you still may not catch a damn thing thats why its called fishing and not catching ;) when used to ocean fishing it was simple find the birds and you found the bait fish which usally ment you found the fish. so i cant see spending that kind of money on a fish finder that and my wife would KILL me if i did ;D

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
birds are good but you probably miss 50 or more schools of bait that dont have birds on them

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
W.E.,

When I first saw them, I thought they were a bit hard to interpret, too, however, this example from their website of a sunken sailboat next to some baitfish looks pretty clear:

As for the price, Cabela's sells the 937c (the one the image above came from) for $1449.99 which isn't too bad considering that Lowrance is selling their color units for quite a bit more than that. I think I paid around $1000 for my LCX-15MT which is old technology these days! :'(

It still amazes me what these things can do. As a gadget freak, I'm happy that the technology is advancing and the things can still improve. I did not cut any corners when I bought my boat as it was my first ever brand new boat (or vehicle, for that matter) and I decided to splurge just this one time. At these prices, however, it will be quite a while before I can justify an upgrade to my fishfinder :eek:.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts