Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The locally famous and one and only, Silent_Light (Jim Wallach) will be down Saturday to do a tying demo at Ghillies Fly Shop. SL will be showing off some of his favorite patterns including midges and tricos. Come on over and put a face with the name. SL has always provided great info on this board and will provide you with great fly tying techniques. Demo starts at 10:00am
Additional info on my blog.
Thanks!

S

·
0 Posts
That was a fun afternoon ! Good to see a few familiar names as well ! BIG thanks to Juan and Gary for having me out. Tied up about a dozen patterns, and got to show a few tips and tricks as well. Hope everyone went home with a head full of new ideas !

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Great job Jim, good to finally meet you as well.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
The flies on your blog are great. That sunken trico/bwo is one that Jim showed me a couple years ago and is one of my favorite patterns.

S

·
0 Posts
Thanks fellas ! Glad you had a good and informative time, hope you'll use some of the patterns, and of course a lot of the ideas I put forth. Yeah, i had a few...moments... first "real" solo and such :-[

Wailupe - That hopper, as you know, is based very much on your design. Just wish i could find the Shimizaki ( sp?) tool to make the bodies you had on your original. Are they sold here or only in Japan ?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Silent,

I wasn't able to make the demo due to having to haul my 12 year old to Ft. Collins for a hockey game.

However, I did pick up the materials to tie up some sunken tricos/BWOs. I found the recipe in the pattern archive. Is that a tungsten bead and 8/0 olive thread in the video?

Are these the right recipes?

Sunken BWO:
Hook: Tiemco 2487 size 18-24
Thread: 8/0 Olive
Head: Silver Tungsten bead
Tail: Midge Pearl Krystal Flash
Abdomen: tying thread
Wing: Medallion Wing Lt Dun
Thorax: Stalcups micro fine dubbing BWO olive

Sunken Trico
Hook: Tiemco 2487 size 20-26
Thread: 14/0 Black
Head: Black glass seed bead 10/0?
Tail: Midge Pearl Krystal Flash
Abdomen: Tying thread
Wing: Medallion Wing Clear
Thorax: Stalcups micro fine dubbing trico

How do you fish these things? What part of the water column do you target and is it necessary to sight fish these?

TIA

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
I fish them as emergers and drowned spinners. I dont use tungsten on these because I don't want it too heavy...in fact, I will grease the leader to keep it just in the film. Jim can prolly give you more info but that is how he showed me.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
shuyge said:
So you're watching for the take or can you feel it like fishing a wet fly?
It always helps when you can see the fish take the fly and strike immediately after it closes it's mouth. If you fish it blind, you will miss the takes, but you won't know that you do. I always prefer to sight fish if possible.

Juan

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks Juan. It sounds like this style of fishing might be above my current level of experience. I should probably stick with nymphing for now.

S

·
0 Posts
Any thread 8/0 to 14/0 will do just fine. 8/0 for 18, 12/0 for 20, 14/0 for 22-26.

I do use a tungsten bead nowadays, as i find it stays in "the zone" longer than a brass bead. Even though at that size, the weight difference is minute, it seems to help. PLUS the new Luscent Beads from MFC are a great compliment to the pattern :)

I fish it from just below the film to about a foot down, thats "the zone". Fish that are feeding on emergers/pupae ( not breaking the surface) take this fly readily and softly, as they would a natural. As the fish start breaking the surface taking the emerging insects, i'll just shorten the tippet to 12" below a dun. During spinnerfall, its back to under the surface.

As Juan said, sight fishing is easy, but hung below a dry ( indicator) is the best way. I normally use 12-20" of tippett depending on conditions.

Its a great "convertable" pattern, and works great as a BWO ( Olive/Gold), Trico ( Black/Black), Midge ( Black/Silver), and in Red/Red bead.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts