Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I fished Dillon on Saturday, specifically the snake river inlet. The effort that was required to drill a hole with my hand auger was ridiculous. I had to drill about four feet down. I think the snow melted and refroze, leaving a super thick ice layer. If it wasn't all ice, it might as well have been because it was just as tough to get through. Ive never had to drill that much before, not even close. Anyways, I fished for a few hours during mid day. Had two hits and one loss on a waxie tipped kasty. Because of the ice situation, I only drilled two holes and didn't adventure very much. I thought the fishing would pick up if I waited till closer to sundown but decided to hit the blue instead. I got there at three and fished for about an hour and a half without anything. The whole time I was using a mysis as my top fly and a red brassie as my bottom fly. (My favorite blue river flies) I decided to swap the brassie for a mysis so I had two mysis patterns. Immediately, I started getting hit. I hooked four fish (only landed two) within twenty minutes,several of which were very nice. The bottom mysis was the only fly to get hit. It goes to show how important depth control is with your flies and that if you're fishing a two fly rig with two different patterns, your deepest fly(which in most situations is your bottom fly depending on how you rig) can be considered your "main" fly and should consist of your most promising pattern as it's most likely to get in the strike zone in most situations.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts