Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious if anyone has tried/purchased the new Simms wading boots with the felt sole? I have the Vibram soled boots now and even with the studs slip and slide more then I think I should.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I don't have the Simms but did get the Korkers last year with the interchangeable soles.

I put the rubber soles on for one day, looked like I was hammered drunk trying to navigate the river. Put the felt soles back on and never looked back.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Felt is the only way to go.. I have simms with felt and they are great. I tried the other stuff and was not pleased...also watched a couple buddies eat ****. You can dry or dip your felt to prevent spread of invasive ****.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Never will go back to felt. Slick on trails, snow, ice, grass, but work fine if you stay in the water. I use the star hardbite and single studs with the suggested pattern. Some manufactures use hard rubber, they suck. No Vibram sole, no sale. They even grip better than my old felt with cleats. But I do a fair amount of walking. A friend loves his korkers but got pissed after losing a sole to mud somewhere on the Platte.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well that answers that question. Ihave korckers myself but bought a pair of Simms with felt for my daughter (never got used) and was wondering if my girl friend would be able to use them in Co. they outlawed them here in Mo.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I have yet to put cleats in any of my boots, be it felt or rubber but if you are needing extra stability/traction....get a wading staff!

I have found no difference in my fall rate with felt or rubber.

PS

I would like to try the Tractor Patty boots sometime like Tang said above. But they be a bit pricey.$$$$

·
Registered
59 Posts
Switched back to felt few years ago from the Vibram and felt wins hands down.
I switched from Simms vibram to Simms G3 Guide in felt. Best decision I ever made. Vibram was great out of the water, but even with studs it felt like I was walking on bowling balls in the water. I will trade out-of-water stability for in-water stability every time.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Neither felt nor vibram are very good for Colorado. Our rocks are too slippery for vibram and the hiking and snow make felt a poor choice as well. Aluminum bars are all the rage now.

http://www.patagonia.com/product/foot-tractor-wading-boots/79150.html?dwvar_79150_color=NHG&cgid=mens-waders-boots#start=1

I have not tried them yet, but I've heard great things.
Man, those boots look interesting. We are looking at another trip to Alaska next year, and there, felt is illegal. Last trip I brought my Korkers and I ate **** daily. Not only that, but my buddy had a sole come apart. Not a good place for that to happen. These Patagonia aluminum boots look great. No need for interchangeable soles, no felt issues(mussels) and no slip issues with rubber. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I effin hate Korkers. the worst boots I have ever owned.

Way to stiff in the sole. It is like walking on 2x4's for shoes.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I own a pair of Patty's but not the tractor boot and they are pretty good. A little on the heavy side but decent traction with just the rubber(vibram i think) sole. Pretty high ankle support, a little too much for me.

Like waders i will go through them pretty fast and will try something else next time.

Will say that for the price the Hodgeman boots before this new generation were pretty good. Soft sole so your foot would wrap around the rock for great traction. The negative to the soft sole was that you felt EVERY rock you stepped on. By the end of the day your feet were worn out. The new generation look kinda like Korkers, did i say how much i hate korkers lol, I f*cking hate Korkers. lol

·
Registered
377 Posts
Korkers has an aluminum bar sole available now for $60/pair. I got some but haven't had a chance to try them yet. Had to special order them, used Elkhorn Fly Shop in Loveland. For what it's worth.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Felt soles rightly or wrongly have been totally banned nation wide here in NZ, after having been identified as a vector in the spread of didymo "aka rock snot" which was hitherto unknown of until about a decade ago.

Don't know if the ban was responsible but the didymo threat sems to have been confined to certain localities in the Sth Is yet contrary to many predictions has not as yet spread to the Nth. Is.

Personally I am of the opinion that not enough is known about what causes the spread of such micro organisms & banning felt soles being worn by fishos, when trampers, hunters, kayakers etc. are not bound by the same restrictions, can hardly be attributed to having halted the spread.

Interesting to hear comments re the Korkers with the interchangeable soles as I recently purchased a pair to replace my aging Simms. Must say I have been disappointed with the lack of grip from the studded soles which is imo little in any improvement on the alternative rubber sole. Like the screw knob lace tightening system tho so long as it continues to perform unlike so many other innovations that seem to be great initially until such time as they no longer function or give problems.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts