Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a new fly fishing pack and I was looking at the Simms headwater full day pack with the Simms headwater hip pack used as a chest rig to attach to it. Does anybody have this set up already? Also, what system do you own? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've messed with it. Looks like a good pack except for two things...no emergency breakaway and price. If I'm not around/crossing heavy water and I think I need more storage than my Wasatch can deliver, I will use my hip pack along with a my Jansport-it's a fraction of the price as Simms. On more robust excursions, coupled with heavy water and multiple day necessities, I use a breakaway back. Pull the emergency cords and it detaches. Two years ago(?) we had a drowning victim in the Black Canyon and his pack was at the center of the incident. Not wearing it is the best option but at times may not be an option. All depends on your excursion.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funny how the jansport backpacks are everywhere and used for everything lol I used one as well when I first started fly fishing. I never really thought about it in emergency use but now I will have to look a little deaper, thanks for the insight...my goal is just to carry all my stuff with me on my long 4 mile journeys of fly fishing while walking around river and lakes.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Don't get caught up in break-away packs. These are large packs(+4000cu.in). It was just food for though about back packs/moving water and price. At $170, there are much better packs. Check out Kifaru and Kuiu.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Kuiu looks like a great brand, I'm getting ready to order some pants and a jacket from them. Only problem with them is the fact that they aren't in any stores to try on before you buy.

Sounds like you are looking for something bigger but, I have a fishpond Wasatch pack that I love bringing on the longer excursions. It has a dedicated pocket for a hydration bladder and plenty of room for food, my hammock and a rain layer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the Fishpond wildhorse vest/backpack and I love it, but I want a a backpack for when I ride my bike to the fishing hole. The reason the simms headwater was so intriguing, is because the chest piece can detach from the front and attach to the back for traveling.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Just an FYI- steepandcheap.com has some fly gear for sale right now. Not sure if they have the exact hip pack you are looking at but they do have several different types/brands.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts