Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much ice is safe ice? can three inches be excessible carefully?

and im having a debate with some buddies that clear ice is stronger then white ice, whats the take?

and Rivrunnr, i'll be sending you a pm shortly regarding some top secret info, check your PM's

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
lucky7 said:
From what I have been told, clear ice is better than white or "milk" ice.
High density clear ice is stronger than the white stuff, but the white "snow ice" frequently overlays the stronger clear ice anyway. I've been out on 3", even 2 1/2", but I prefer 4" or more.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your input guys. I've heard it too, i just can't decide if its absolutely true.

But the "high-density" sounds pretty believable. White in ice is just oxygen trapped right?

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
i think the only thing u gotta watch for on 3-5inches of ice is the sun spot things. its round and has like sun rays comin out of it....., i cant remembe what the ranger called them ???

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Dyinghero27 said:
Thanks for your input guys. I've heard it too, i just can't decide if its absolutely true.

But the "high-density" sounds pretty believable. White in ice is just oxygen trapped right?
Not necessarily. It can be slush that froze. Or snow on a base of ice, that was then rained on before it froze.

Here's a pretty good ice explanation that Dan posted in another thread~

http://ohioline.osu.edu/aex-fact/pdf/0392.pdf

1 - 9 of 9 Posts