Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure a lot of you have had the the problem of fireing up your auger after it has set a week or so, try getting a can of starting fluid and giving it a shot or two in the carb.it will crank on the first or second pull. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Thanks Rover,I will give that a shot!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
dont over do it, thats a good way to blow a head gasket

·
Registered
288 Posts
I put a little fuel stabilizer (the advised amount) in my gas/oil can. My auger starts up quickly every time. It comes in a clear bottle and is pink. This is the same stuff you put in your gas can at the end of the season to keep it from breaking down into varnish and other nasty, engine clogging stuff over the summer.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
another good thing to do at the end of every trip run the engine dry and start with fresh fuel every trip and ofcourse start your engine at home the night/day before going that way if your going to have a problem you dont ruin your day on the ice and have a chance to fix it

·
Registered
460 Posts
if you do have problems starting it and dont have starting fluid laying around, WD-40 also works. On a 2-cycle engine it actually is better for teh engine.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I don't think i would try it on an ice auger stand a good chance of blowing a hole in the piston. I am all for the idea of starting it the day before you go, also carry a wrench so that you can pull the spark plug and dy it. Most problems happen when augers get flooded, a cigarete lighter is a good way to dry a plug when flooding occurs.

·
Registered
460 Posts
i agree, start it the day before. but some older augers may have a hard time starting. if your auger is old and needs a little help starting run some fuel cleaner through it. run teh tank completely empty at a high speed. then put on a fresh spark plug. if it is still having problems starting it may need to have fuel mixture, fuel rate, and all that stuff adjusted. a small engine repair shop can do it pretty quickly, just tell them that you run in the mountains so they can adjust for that. another tip if the engine is choked and still wont start try changing the amount of choke. sometimes more air is needed to get a satisfactory burn.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts