Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any ideas they use or have tried to make a simple windbreak? I'm new to the game, and would prefer not spending the $200 or so on a real sled/shelter. I was thinking of something rigged with pvc and a tarp, which would fit the budget, but my worry is it wouldn't be sturdy enough. Not looking for anything fancy, just something lightweight, easy to put up/together, and cheap. Sure, I can put my back to the wind like I did last week, but I was hoping for something a little better.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
get a cheep dome tent from walmart and cut some holes in the floor it wont stand up to really nasty wind but will work nice in moderate winds

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ive got a great sled , Wind break made by frabille for sale on the buy and sell forum , Theres pictures if you click on the addresses , Its a great sled with storage and a wind break that comes apart and fits inside .You cant buy these anymore , but they are great little sleds for the price

·
Registered
9 Posts
My ideas a bit on the heavy side if you're packing in, but if you don't have far to go, are coming in on a 'mobile, or are just a badass, it'll work great (and cheap!) Finding the rods for it may take a little digging around, but all you need are three stout steel or iron rods (3/4" diam), an old tarp, and a hammer. Cut the tarp to 3 1/2, or 4 feet tall, and as long as you feel like making. Tie the very ends of the tarp to two of the rods, and roll the tarp up on each of the rods equally (approx). The get out on the ice, unroll tarp from both ends till you have 8' or so of tarp out between the poles, and drive the poles into the ice 6 or 8 inches down, leaving 2-3' of slack tarp out. Then pull the tarp tight upwind with the third pole, drive it in, and voila! It helps if the rods have a tapered end for driving into the ice, but not required. Like I said, a little heavy, but...

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Cutthroat said:
Eat a whole can of pork-n-beans, and you'll surely break wind.
I beg your pardon, the gentlemen asked for a "simple" wind break, Mr. Topic Buster, and eating a whole can of pork-n-beans is not simple! I think a single can of beer would do the trick for most of us, thank you.

·
Registered
124 Posts
A piece of plywood cut in half, 5 feet high, and with hinges down the center would work. Cost=$16.

4-2x4's with plastic stapled to them and hinged. Cost=$11.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts