Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a float line and have been float tubing for 2 months now. I decided that I needed my streamer down deeper, so I wraped some lead wire around my tip it. Its seemed to work great caught alot more fish then I normally do. Just wanted to know if any one has ever done this and if it destroys your floating line. And if it is worth it to go by another pole for sink tip.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Wonmore,
Don't worry, your floating line won't be hurt because it's submerged or because weight. Also, you don't need to buy a new pole for sink tip line. I would just get another spool for your fly reel and load it with sink tip line. Just switch spools depending on how you want to fish.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thing I've done is rather than using lead or split shot is taken some lengths of lead core (say a 6" piece, a 12" piece, and a 18" piece depending on how deep you want to go), tied loops on both ends with a nail knot, and slipped the lengths between my leader and fly line (I loop a nail knot on the end of the fly line and loop the leader on - makes it easy to modify). Not exactly a sink tip, but easier to cast than split shot or lead, and good enough to get your fly down. Also pretty easy to carry around and attach if you need to.

The shorter lengths work for river fishing when you need to get a nymph down as well.

BTW - you can use the same rod for a sink tip as you use for floating or even a full sink. You could also set up a shooting head system if you don't want to buy spare spools for your reel.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Get an Itermediate Full Sink line type I that sinks at 1 1/2" per second and an extra spool. Works great from a tube with wooleys!

They have them on sale at Sierra Trading
http://tinyurl.com/k2bgl

1 - 4 of 4 Posts