Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two reels for my 8wt; one rigged with Power Fly floating line and I want to put a sinking line on the other one. I'm leaning towards Rio's Freshwater Outbound Short in one of the following densities:

-An intermediate line with a 30 ft sinking, type 3 (3-4 inches per second) head (I/S3)
-An intermediate line with a 30 ft fast sinking, type 6 (6 inches per second) head (I/S6)

I'll be using this for bass, wiper, etc. for local lakes & ponds. Might use it to go after lake trout.

Any recommendations? I want to stay somewhat versatile of possible. Would the Type 3 be ok or should I just go to the Type 6? Due to my lack of casting skills, I tend to have a lot of line out to gain distance on false casts. Is the shorter 30ft head going to be an issue?

Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
Let me tell you, you won't need to have much line out at all for casting, and I never EVER false cast more than once with this line. That's the beauty of it, cast out, strip strip strip, roll cast to get the line back on top of the water, then 1 false cast with a double haul and watch the line sore 80 feet... lol, I love my Rio OBS for streamer fishing, it has made it really FUN to cast very large and heavily weighted streamers. One thing to keep in mind is you definitely do not want to overline with this fly line. Get the weight that your rod is designed for. I can't comment on the sinking factor, I bought the floating fly line and just use Rio versileaders to sink the fly because then I can change sink rates by switching to faster/slower sinking leaders via loop-to-loop connection.

Hope this helps, you will love the Rio OBS for tossing streamers. I wouldn't recommend it for dry fly or nymph fishing.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me tell you, you won't need to have much line out at all for casting, and I never EVER false cast more than once with this line. That's the beauty of it, cast out, strip strip strip, roll cast to get the line back on top of the water, then 1 false cast with a double haul and watch the line sore 80 feet... lol, I love my Rio OBS for streamer fishing, it has made it really FUN to cast very large and heavily weighted streamers. One thing to keep in mind is you definitely do not want to overline with this fly line. Get the weight that your rod is designed for. I can't comment on the sinking factor, I bought the floating fly line and just use Rio versileaders to sink the fly because then I can change sink rates by switching to faster/slower sinking leaders via loop-to-loop connection.

Hope this helps, you will love the Rio OBS for tossing streamers. I wouldn't recommend it for dry fly or nymph fishing.
Thanks. I ordered the type 3 sinking for my 8wt. Should be here this week.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Since you already purchased a line this may be too late. Lots of the steelheaders up in the Pacific Northwest (PNW) like the Jim Teeny lines. They come in various weights (grains) and seem to last a good long time. I have one for my 8 wt but I would have to check what grain weight it is. On deep lakes I use it off and on to get down to the big boys.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I fish it from shore and from my boat. It's definitely more fun from the boat, because I can get a huge back cast without worry about hanging up on something then LAUNCH it half way across the lake (exaggeration) lol :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts