Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never owned a sinking fly line. I caught my first lake trout ever on one but never purchased one. I'm going to pick up some sort of sinking like before I leave for pyramid lake in six days. I'll have three full days of fishing. It seems from doing some reading and research, that shooting head lines are recommended most,not full sink. It seems like the sink tip is easier to cast and recast. If you're standing in the water with a full sink line, it will all go to the bottom and make things more difficult. I'm sort of confused with all the different fly lines out there. So a shooting head line is the same as a sink tip, right? Just different terminology? Can anyone recommend a decent line for me that fits the bill and isn't expensive? I'll probably call one of the shops out ther and see what they recommend but the info on here is usually helpful, too. I'll have my 6wt with a floating line, a spinning outfit, a swimbait outfit and then a 9wt that I'm buying the sink line for. Thanks.

·
Registered
16,632 Posts
I cannot imagine needing a sinking line at pyramid. its shallow as heck.

I Cannot imagine needing a 9wt?? Aint no freekin Tarpon in there????

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I cannot imagine needing a sinking line at pyramid. its shallow as heck.

I Cannot imagine needing a 9wt?? Aint no freekin Tarpon in there????
I belive Pyramid lake is almost like 400ft deep at certain points. I dunno-thats the type of stuff that's recommended.

Edit- it's 344 feet deep according to Google. Deep enough for a sinking fly line

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually it's usually probably an 8wt they recommend for throwing sinking lines in possibly windy conditions but I don't own an 8wt. The 9 will work fine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Whomp

No, shooting head and sink tip are not the same. Its a set up with a running line with a heavier tip section (can be floating or sinking) that allows the spey or one handed caster to shoot line longer distances. Not what you are looking at here.

Getting into the sinking line you want really depends on how deep you are going to try and fish.

The biggest determining factor is how quickly you want the line to sink Type 1 (intermediate sink) is about 1.75 " per second. Up to a type 7 which is about 7" per second.

Alos, its more about how deep you want to fish and keep the fly in that zone. Below is a good chart

0-12 feet: Intermediate/type 1-2
10-20 feet: type 3-4
15-25 feet: type 3-5
20+ feet: type 4-6
25+ feet: type 5-7

One of the options that may be up your area is a versi-tip fly line. I like it the most frankly. It comes with three different tips that you go loop to loop with. I like the RIO but it isnt cheap (160 bucks)

Rio Veri tip II

Good luck

·
Registered
216 Posts
I use Scientific Angler sonic sink 30 clear tip on my 10 wt. This will get you down 20-30ft and the clear tip is a + for spooky fish. Casts easy when stripped in to the clear line with a 10-12 ft leader.

There are a lot of flats at Pyramid but drops off fast. Drifting the edges in a tube with sink line is the way to go if there not cruising the shallows. GL

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I belive Pyramid lake is almost like 400ft deep at certain points. I dunno-thats the type of stuff that's recommended.

Edit- it's 344 feet deep according to Google. Deep enough for a sinking fly line
Do fly fisherman actually let flies go down that far?!?
Nope. But the lake is obviously deep enough to possibly need a sinking line

·
Registered
592 Posts
I use Rio Streamer line with a 15' clear sink tip on my streamer rod, works great for getting unweighted streamers below the surface. I also don't use a full length leader on it, just a short (2-3') piece of tippet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts