Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have had the same type III sink line for a few years. just got a new Cabela's fly fishing catalog and was looking at fly lines. i am considering the clear sink lines. i am sure some of you have had experience with various brand names. anyone feel the clear is worth getting vs regular dark colored sink lines. What type are you using? i fish lakes like spinney where you can be from 5 ft to 20 ft.
what i mean is what sink rate line do you find works best for you. i tend to get the faster sinking ones because i get impatient waiting for a slow sinking line to get down to where i want it but, i am not sure if that is the best way to go. Denny Rikards in his book suggests a moderate to slow sink rate.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I hear you about getting impatient with the slower sink lines - but - I've found that retrieving your line at a very slow pace often brings more strikes. The faster sink lines often won't allow you to come in slow enough. OKf course this is often depth dependent. I use both fast and slow sinking but really love that clear slow sinking line. John

·
Registered
113 Posts
Love those clear sinking lines. The Cortland clear camo line is nice, sinks ~1 in/sec. Rio Aqualux is what I use the most, it's more like a type II. If you are fishing deeper water, like deeper than 10', I would go with the rio line. It doubles as a great streamer fishing line in rivers.

TP

·
Registered
46 Posts
I personally do not use a clear line but my son swears by it. He uses the cabela's brand and loves it. Not a bad price either. I think it is called "Prestige" type II. I use the type II for all venues 20ft deep and less. The only difference between the colored and the clear, that I can see, is that you can get away with shorter leaders with the clear line. Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I fish almost exclusively with sinking lines from Type I to the Rio Deep 7 which is used for deep reservoirs. I use my clear slow sinker a lot mainly in the summer during the Calibaetis hatches at spinney. The clear line is very stealth-like and I believe it helps during calm and clear conditions.

I noticed that the clear does not shoot nearly as well as the heavy, slick sinking lines. The Rio is an unbelievable casting line and sinks way faster than Scientific Angler?s fastest sinker. By far, I use a Type III the most - particularly at spinney in the fall since I am mainly fishing water 15 to 20 feet deep between the weed towers. I have tried the Rio Deep 7 at a few spots at Spinney but it tends to require too fast of a retrieve (as mentioned by John in his response to this thread).

I have a theory that a lot of still water fisherman do not use sinking lines enough and tend to think that just because they are fly fishing they need to use a floating line. I have not used a floater in over a year in still water. Obviously, I am not into the ?spinney bobber fishing? (static nymphing) technique.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I don't use it very much but the slowest sinking lines seem to draw more strikes when using smaller fly's like midges and or smaller streamers. The faster stuff is better when the fish are very actively taking bigger streamers or zonkers.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Orvis makes a fairly decent clear sinking line. It doesn't cast quite as well as conventional sinking lines but its certainly clear. I fish it primarily for pike on a 10 wt. To this point its hard to tell if I'm catching more fish because its clear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts