Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I fish almost exclusively with sinking lines from Type I to the Rio Deep 7 which is used for deep reservoirs. I use my clear slow sinker a lot mainly in the summer during the Calibaetis hatches at spinney. The clear line is very stealth-like and I believe it helps during calm and clear conditions.

I noticed that the clear does not shoot nearly as well as the heavy, slick sinking lines. The Rio is an unbelievable casting line and sinks way faster than Scientific Angler?s fastest sinker. By far, I use a Type III the most - particularly at spinney in the fall since I am mainly fishing water 15 to 20 feet deep between the weed towers. I have tried the Rio Deep 7 at a few spots at Spinney but it tends to require too fast of a retrieve (as mentioned by John in his response to this thread).

I have a theory that a lot of still water fisherman do not use sinking lines enough and tend to think that just because they are fly fishing they need to use a floating line. I have not used a floater in over a year in still water. Obviously, I am not into the ?spinney bobber fishing? (static nymphing) technique.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts