Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 43lb bow mount that just doesn't handle the weight of my boat in the wind. Should I be looking at a 55lb 12v or a 65 or 70lb 24v system for an upgrade? I don't want to do this twice. Do 24v systems have other advantages? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Great question! I was just wondering this same thing today?

Any general rules of thumb?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm fishing a 17.5 FT boat at 1700 pounds. Minnkota says I can go down to 40 Lbs of thrust. I went with a 24V 74lb auto pilot power drive and it does pretty well. If I get in a lot of wind and want to troll I'll use the kicker for power and the front motor to steer. I like the power drive and auto pilot features.

I also run a 13ft with a 46lb thrust without the power drive or auto pilot and I wish I had those features. Do your homework and I would go with additional features. If it's a big boat get ever bit of motor you can afford. Make sure it has some sort of battery saving technology.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MobyJ, I have a 16 foot around 1800 or 1900 lbs fully loaded (including people and gear). The 43lb just doesn't cut it in the wind despite what the charts say. It does ok at best with a full charge.

I know what the Minn Kota auto pilot feature does. What do you mean when you say you like the "power drive" feature, I'm not sure what that means? I've also looked at their Maximizer battery saving technology.

I really didn't want to go to a 24v but do you think that's what I should do? Otherwise I'm looking at 55 max with a 12V.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Besides more pounds of thrust, the 24V system is more efficient. If I rememebr correctly, 24V
motors draw about 3/4 amp for every pound of thrust and 12V systems draw about 1 amp per pound of thrust.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
One other suggestion, get the longest shaft you can. In waves you dont want the prop coming out of the water. With most types of bow mounts you can manually adjust the depth of the motor if you are fishing in shallow water.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Below is an excerpt from Cabelas website:

"The size and weight of your boat translates into your need for power (thrust) and endurance. The basic rule of thumb for determining the amount of thrust you need is five pounds of thrust for every 200 pounds of weight. Don't forget to include the weight of your boat's contents in the calculation. To be sure that you have enough power, take the boat's estimated weight and add in its maximum weight capacity. A boat that weighs 1,500 pounds, and has a maximum weight capacity of 1,200 pounds would need a motor with 67.5 pounds of thrust. (1,500 lbs. + 1,200 lbs. ÷ 200 = 13.5 x 5= 67.5)"

I just bought a 40T Minn Kota Maxxum. I am hoping I will not have any problems in the wind on my 9ft. inflatable pontoon boat.

·
P I K E
10,160 Posts
     One thing to keep in mind is, to get full thrust out of an electric troller, your prop should be 18 inches below the water surface.I use a 40T MinnKota on my sea eagle 9 raft and sometimes on my 16 foot boat.Not bad at all on the raft but in a wind with the boat drags down alot.
    Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
749 Posts
With trolling motors bigger is always better. You need to determine shaft length and type of prop. With a 24volt system you will draw less current giving you more trolling time. Running the max out of your 12volt battery will not only shorten your fishing time it will destroy the battery quicker adding another cost.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I have a 17.5 glass, tri-hull 1850 lbs., with minn kota 12V 55 lbs. pwr drive 52" shaft wish it were the 55" that much more makes a difference. The drop to the water is pretty far my the boat. Works great in 2 ft waves and moves the boat very well on low speeds. The foot pedal comes with a 18 foot cord for front or back of boat operation. Also optional remote control can be added on for wrist control operation. Using Ever Start Deep Cycle , group 27, 205 RCA. Runs along time !

·
Registered
270 Posts
I went 24V on the big boat and you can't wrong with the bigger motor. I'm also running 2 optima blue tops and it has been a very good combo.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I should have made 24v vs 12v a poll question. Sounds like there are some pretty strong feeling on the 24v side. Thanks for all the great comments.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
With your boat's size, I would also agree that you could benefit by going with a 24V system. Regarding the shaft length, remember that you can get it too long as well (though this does not appear to be as big of a problem as a shaft that is too short). You don't want to be crashing into rocks in the shallow water, so there is a tradeoff of needing a longer shaft length in wind and shorter one in shallow water. I've got a 60" on mine (17' Lund Fisherman) and there are times in heavier waves that I still need to stand on the bow's casting platform to keep the prop in the water. However, the length is also just about right for trolling around in shallow water which is nice.

Good luck, hope this helps.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hope you get what you want. I have same problem 12v maxxum 44 with 18ft fiberglass and if its real windy I can not maintain good trolling speed into wind yet big motor is way to much. 24v 65lb autopilot would be cool. point it where you want to go and it goes there

1 - 18 of 18 Posts