Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first time up here, very pretty reservior. Was not sure what species were in it but since it was a colorado lake I knew I couldnt go wrong with the trout. Threw out some salmon eggs and powerbait, while I fished a rapala infront of the dam. About 2 hours later and a ton of different lures later not one bite, I decided to head down to the spillway. About 30 mins later and still no bites this guy asks me if I wanted the rest of his worms, since I had none and wasnt catching anything I said sure I'll give them a try. THe next 2 hours landed 3 brookies and 4 rainbows all on worms off the spillway. Between 10-13 inches. I get my new digital camera Tuesday so hopefully I'll have pictures from now on out for my posts.

Water temps were 48 degrees, partly cloudy, and wind out of the east pretty gusty but not to bad.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Re: Skaguay

Epic, if you like stream fishing you should follow the trail below skaquay. The farther down the better it gets. It is in the Beaver Creek Wilderness Study area. Very rugged terrain, full of wildlife and worth the trip!  :) You can make a over night trip and have someone pick you up at the lower end trail head just N.E. of Canon City.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds like a good idea, I dont know about right now alot of water coming out of skagway right now I fished the little pools at the bottom of the spillway then walked aways looking for calmer water and fished some that I thought was still pretty fast but better and caught the rest.
The father-in-law was with me he was fly fishing, had a bite on a wooly bugger but didnt land anything. He said the Ark in Canon City was really muddy from runoff. (he lives there)

Its a nice little reservoir I'd like to get a boat out on it. But I love fly fishing those streams too so who knows more things to do this summer, boy its going to go fast.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Epic-You can catch pike in Skaguay if you go up around the inlet. I camped up along the inlet one night many years ago and it rained so hard the stream came up and started coming thru our tent. Once it gets wet I guessing a sleeping bag weighs 100 pounds!!

Got a question-where is a good place to fish the Arkansas around Canon City-I know it runs right thru town and theres a park but isn't there a place above town but below the Royal Gorge? Thanks, Ed

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ed Marcol said:
Epic-You can catch pike in Skaguay if you go up around the inlet. I camped up along the inlet one night many years ago and it rained so hard the stream came up and started coming thru our tent. Once it gets wet I guessing a sleeping bag weighs 100 pounds!!

Got a question-where is a good place to fish the Arkansas around Canon City-I know it runs right thru town and theres a park but isn't there a place above town but below the Royal Gorge? Thanks, Ed
Nice i didnt know there were pike there too, what about salmon my father-in-law said they use to have salmon but a flood in the 60's took out the levee and they might not have them there anymore. anyone know?

I fish alot intown, there is a little archery building and a river walk if you turn left at the burger king. We usually fish there since its a couple blocks from their house. But if you head up past the jail just outside of town where the tunnel walk is there is a nice little canyon there and if you walk up in the canyon there is a small dike built with a nice pool that we like to fish. Then going up 50 there are a couple campground thingies between Canon and the Gorge but I think the best ones are just after the 2nd entrance to the Royal Gorge, and the fishing keeps getting better as you go. Its a fun river to fish and since the road runs right along it you can drive tell you see a spot to your liking and there usually is a pull off for you to park pretty close.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i can 2nd the pike. I have caught about 3 or 4 of them there, but they were small, smaller then the trout we were catching.

If your in a boat looking at the inlet, on the right side (east?) is a big shallow flat. THen at the inlet its gets really deep, i have caught lots of trout in that part of the lake. I imagin the pike are in the shallow flat right there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts