Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Camped at Skaguay Fri and Sat night. Did alot of fishing from the shore and trolling in the boat. Trolling the north end was most effective. best lures were spinners like panther martins or rooster tails and rapalas worked well too. Caught dozens of bows (lost count) but nothing big. Avereage size was 12" but we did manage to land one ~17". Also caught a couple of small pike on a rapala. Overall it was a fun weekend, but no big fish stories to brag about, just a bunch of stockers. Think I'll start chasing the wipers at Pueblo next time. Oh yeah... heard a few elk bugling at night and saw a guy up the road dragging out a 6x6! Aspens are turning yellow up there and fall is in the works.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
how do you like the camping there been thinking bout trying it out?

how small is small on them pike?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Good job breaking in that new boat Justin! Sounds like you had steady action and a lot of fun. I was hoping for some photos! Like Roadkill, I'm also interested in hearing about the camping conditions up there. Years ago (1985-ish) you were able to camp on the right side of the road that goes to the reservoir - is that still available these days?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great weekend indeed. The pike were too small to eat, one was about 14" and the other 10 -12". The camping up there was crowded but very scenic. There were a bunch of people camping near the boat ramp on both sides of the road. We camped on the east side of the lake to avoid the crowds, but we were still subject to some clown's dog barking all night. Oh well, just had to drink a few more beers before we went to sleep. Had a blast! Next time I hit Skaguay it will probably be frozen.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
so the camping is dispersed or are there marked sites and what is the cost per nite?

thanks

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
roadkill said:
so the camping is dispersed or are there marked sites and what is the cost per nite?

thanks
There are some spots, I seen and some dispersed when I was there.... Its an SWA so I'm pretty sure they dont charge to camp.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
cool thats my kinda camping

·
Registered
11 Posts
Camping up there sounds great (cold at night though.) We just never have the time these days. It is beautiful up there, though and the boaters are fewer, and alot more considerate, then at Pueblo!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Every time we go up there, people are always camping around the boatramp. In my opinion, either get in the boat and camp on the other side. Or walk around about 1/2 mile and camp back away from the cluster flop. I find the best fishing is on the other end of the lake anways (the inlet is there), and no one ever goes back there. And for all, its free for everything.

I've also caught some bigger trout in there and all the pike we catch there are between 12-14 inches. I am still looking for that 25+ incher, i know it has to be in there.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
can you drive all around the lake or is the far side only accessable by boat?

the cold dont bother me i cant be much worse than here

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
roadkill said:
can you drive all around the lake or is the far side only accessable by boat?

the cold dont bother me i cant be much worse than here
You can walk down to the spillway and back up the mountain to get to the other side, but you cant drive there. If I'm not mistaken I think the only place you can drive is to the boatramp, which is why most people camp there I think.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
cool this is sounding interesting might have to take the boat up and farry my gear to the other side

·
Registered
863 Posts
Camping is free, both at the landing and around the lake. Its best to ferry in your gear with a boat. The scenery is fantastic in the fall up there. But it does get cold at night. Its my family's favorate place to camp, and always take out of state guess's there. I won't hit it till ice on because of hunting season rapidly approaching.

But will hit Pueblo for walleyes a few more times this year with the boat. 8)

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Mikinaak said:
Camping is free, both at the landing and around the lake. Its best to ferry in your gear with a boat. The scenery is fantastic in the fall up there. But it does get cold at night. Its my family's favorate place to camp, and always take out of state guess's there. I won't hit it till ice on because of hunting season rapidly approaching.

But will hit Pueblo for walleyes a few more times this year with the boat.  8)
You catch any pike threw the ice up there??? I was kind of thinking this might be a honey hole for pike threw that ice since I dotn hear many people talking about ice fishing this lake.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I've have been in Colorado for 10 years now, when I first fished Skagway it was ok for northerns, it has since slowed down but I still see some big ones come out of the lake both summer and winter.

It is a nice lake to get set up with both tip-ups of northerns and my ice house nearby for trout.

have fun! Mikinaak 8)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts