Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Which one is the real thing?

• [img width=400 height=300]http://ck37.image.pbase.com/image/47564154.jpg[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img width=400 height=300]http://ck37.image.pbase.com/image/41888598.jpg[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought it would be fun to see what people think about these two mounts. One of them is a skin mount and one is a replica...

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
If i had to guess, i would say the pike is the replica...

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I would guess the Laker is the Replica?

I had a skin mount of a 7 1/2 lb Largemouth start cracking and drying out after 12 months :mad: Get the Replica and release the fish if you can.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Ahh, its a musky. ive only hooked one small one in my time, so im not very good at identifying them...

either way though, i still think the laker is the skin mount. the heads and mouths of fiberglass replicas always have a peculiar look, and as far as i can tell it looks to be the fake of the two...so im stickin with my first decision...

by the way, thats a nice looking skin mount of your pike, Don...

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Even thought the muskie looks like it has a bad paint job (maaco) I voted for the muskie the lake trout has picture next to it like most replicas do...just my throry..

TH

what is the average cost per inch for a skin mount compared to a replica anyone know?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Maybe Work2fish had his musky painted at Earl Shives...

Im just kidding Work...at least you have a musky...let me check mine. yup, as i thought, i still dont have one, so who am i to poke fun

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TroutHunter said:
Even thought the muskie looks like it has a bad paint job (maaco) I voted for the muskie the lake trout has picture next to it like most replicas do...just my throry..

TH

what is the average cost per inch for a skin mount compared to a replica anyone know?
Maaco? Geez, guys do you really think it is that bad? :'( Actually, I'm going to turn it around and say that most Colorado guys don't have a good idea of what true musky (not tiger musky) colors should be -- I caught this one up in Minnesota and here is a picture of a small section of the fish's skin on the day I caught it:

The mount's paint job looks pretty close to me! ;D No hard feelings, eh?

Also, from my experience the cost is ~$10/inch for a skin mount, ~$12/inch for a replica mount... But you must also include the cost of a plaque if you want one...

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fishingkats said:
ok im going to ask

how much did it cost

for each of them
That would give it away -- they were both 36" fish! :) Oops, I guess I didn't have to mention that... :p

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I cant argue about not knowing what color a musky is...so no theres worry of insulting me as far as thats concerned

i still think it looks pink though ;)

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
btw, can't a moderator figure out how I voted on the poll? Of course, I may have picked the wrong one on purpose... :-X

So far the vote is 50/50 which is interesting.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Sorry Work, im not much of a moderator...in fact i can barely figure out how to use my computer half of the time, so something like determining whom voted for what is beyond me.

...however i can still continue to post on your thread, making fun of your pink musky...if that helps

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rottal said:
Sorry Work, im not much of a moderator...in fact i can barely figure out how to use my computer half of the time, so something like determining whom voted for what is beyond me.

...however i can still continue to post on your thread, making fun of your pink musky...if that helps
:D :D :D

All I can say is that it must have been the camera flash or the reflections off of the beer steins 'cause she's not really pink unless I'm wearing rose colored glasses...

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Perhaps it was a hybrid...that was derived from cross breeding a musky with this:

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rottal said:
Perhaps it was a hybrid...that was derived from cross breeding a musky with this:
I have heard of such hybrids with Pike, but not Muskies ;)

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pink hybrid pike:

It's easy to see how one might get confused between a Pike and a Musky as their markings are sooo similar... ::)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts