Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a fun one.

What percentage of the time do you get skunked?

There's a lot of ways to answer this.

Skunked could mean no fish at all or no fish than you were going after. Or something you decide as a definition.

I am happy to say I get skunked only rarely...maybe 10% of the time. (or 1 in 10 fishing days). There ore those days though that it's just one 8" brown or 10" largemouth that keeps the skunk off.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Yesturday I went for Bass. After not getting so much as a bite, I went to a smaller pond, and caught a nice one. So I guess I was skunked at one place, but not for the day.  ;D

Also, when not landing any Bass, I'll put on a small fly, and catch a couple of Bluegill  (not that they're not fun, just not what I was after).  :-[

Last... I don't count it as a skunk unless I had at least 2 hours to fish.  ;)

So, I am rarley... "skunked"  ^-^

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I refuse to answer on the grounds that I will get skunked to much if I do. (did that make sense?)

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
For me it varies.

On the fly rod I would say less than 5% of the time I get skunked.

On the spinning rod it use to be about 50/50.

Now that I discovered bass fishing I get skunked about 80% of the time.

Ice fishing about 10%.

Once I make a cast I am fishing.

*I don't know if I should say this. I might jinx it. I have NEVER been skunked night fishing. With any type of takle.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Heck yes, I have been skunked once in awhile. Anyone who says they haven't is a
flat out liar. And we all know that people who fish always tell the truth.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
thanks to a certain Moderator (who cursed me and will remain anonymous) way too often................

Dan

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Got skunked only once this year in what little open water there was in the middle of the winter. And two forum members (tipup and RON) got to watch me do it. Isn't that always the way it works? Two days ago I went out and caught/released 41 trout, a new personal best, and there wasn't one damn soul around me to see it happen. But just get skunked one time.......

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Figures a farmer would bring up a topic like this... ;D

There are different levels of skunked each with its own fragrance. Someone might call not catching a fish at joes pond for an hour a skunk, but on my scale its a small skunk, if a skunk at all. Take a bunch of kids camping for a weekend with fish on the menu and serve them bake potato's and hamburger's... well thats a pretty good skunk and they will let you know it... But the worst smelling skunk are those when you told someone that they will or you think you are going to fill the boat with fish, or catch big fish ... and nothing is caught.

Those are the skunks that really reek.

I don't get skunked, mildly sprayed maybe.

G

·
I've never caught a skunk, can't say I want to either.

I always try to catch at least a stick or weed so I can say I caught a stick bass or weed trout, so,,,,,, never skunked.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whoever said early in the season doesn't count...I agree.

Once the season is in full swing it's fish ahoy.

Early in the season or in the winter is when most of my skunking ocurrs.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Yeah I only get skunked when I fish for the BIG ones, dont want to catch them samll ones. :p

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I count getting skunked as having a line in the water and not catching a thing, doesnt mater if it was 1 cast or 1,000. For walleye I am 100% skunk rate in two years, bass I avergae a 30% sunk rate. Luckly I can get a few bass when the Walleye dont do as planned, this season just started 2 weeks ago and I am about a 75% skunk rate, not good. Things will change as water gains a few degrees. (I keep telling myself this anyway).

·
Registered
530 Posts
Flip a coin a dozen times. Heads No skunk Tails Skunked. That sounds about right for a precentage.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
For 2006 I am 100% skunked, btw.... i have a fenwick medium action 7 foot spinngin pole in excellent condition along with a Daiwa SS 1800 reel, invested well over $250.00 and have not caught a fish on it yet. (2 year) and is for sale.............but let me warn you that pole has some bad vudu!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I don't get skunked often. I've only gotten skunked once this year, this last weekend. I was too early. 2 other times this year I only caught 1 fish...so I was close.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I got skunked a few times this year. I have learn to expect when fishing big baits for big pike. No problem though, there is always next time.

When we weren't catching any fish and someone asked my grandpa how the fishing was, he would say, good...but the catching is not.

Its about having a line in the water.

·
Registered
636 Posts
For me it depends. If I am dunking bait like worms it is probably about 20 percent of the time. If I am going strictly after muskie, it is 100% of the time :mad:. But usually if I can catch a trout or two if I really get desperate enough and don't want to go home without catching a fish. The good thing about getting skunked though is it beats working, doing honeydoos, or trying to improve your life which requires hard work and dedication.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Today I had an hour or two to try and catch a trout. Instead I snagged this nasty ugly carp. What kind of fish lets you snag it?

does it count as a skunk?

p.s. I hate carp...bleah

fortunately I didn't have to touch it...I was able to just use my pliers to remove the spinner snagged on the dorsal fin.

I really cant get over how disgusted I am by this thing

anyway...because I care about it's nasty self...I released it...I think it was half dead anyway.

p.p.s   yuck!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts