Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am possibly the worst fisherman ever. I get skunked most of the time, yesterday was no different. Hit 4 lakes over an 8 hour period. Threw every rig and tactic I know at them, not a bite.

So, skunked again. Post here to document all of those hours on the water where it just didn't happen.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ha, your a rookie I bet. I've been getting skunked since '03 when I got here.
Not only that I even spent 15 grand to do it.

In all honesty I've always been boater who was a good fisherman, but as time goes by here iam more and more turning into a boater in a fishing boat...

My grand daughter doesn't mind as she likes to drive.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spent all of last summer fishing every free second I had. Lunch break, that hour between work and the gym, full days on the weekends, every week, and researching about fishing when I wasn't on the water. I picked up fly fishing between now and then however I still like spin casting from shore. I get skunked more than anyone. It is sad.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Happens to all of us. There are days when the action is hot and some days I get nothing in the same spot. Just keep trying.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone care to throw a sure thing lake/pond my way? Something in the metro area would be great. I am not asking for your cuttthroat spot in the wilderness or your Tiger Muskie honey hole I am asking for a lake or pond in the city that I can bring my 6-year old too and pluck out some easy fish with a worm on. Anything?

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
We all get the skunking sometimes. I spent 5 hours yesterday on some metro water and my reward was 2 bass, the biggest coming in at a hefty 5 inches, which I would consider pretty much a skunk.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
No such thing as "for-sure"....

But if I were you, I would search in the "Reports" forum for metro area lakes or ponds from the last 3-4 years during the month of May. It'll take a little tweaking on your search, but if you go back before 2010, many many reports were far less "tight-lipped" so to speak.

Happy hunting.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I have gone out 4 times since making this thread, not one fish.

Today went to a little pond hidden on the southwest corner of Santa Fe and Bowles. I noticed it on the Colorado fishing atlas and decided to check it out. No dice. Using a simple nightcrawler under a bobber. My bobber would start moving around and then go under at which point I went to set the hook but nothing. I would reel in without a single piece of the worm missing. Very strange and have never seen that before but it happened three times in about a 30 minute period. Anyone have an idea of what that is all about?

Anyway, no fish there so went and bough some live minnows and went to a little pond tucked away on the SE side of old town Littleton. Sterne pond I think??? Anyway, not a bite with the minnows. I was fishing them under a bobber. Some hooked through the back, some through the tail. the minnows had a lot of action and were wriggling all over the place but no bites.

So yeah, the ongoing story of the worlds worst fisherman. At this point I am not even mad I am impressed at the hours I have put in and the minimal amount of fish I have caught.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And no, I have not tried any spots that may or may not have been suggested to me via PM after I made this thread although I did get some fish that day. I will eventually make it to these alleged spots that I cannot confirm nor deny may or may not exist.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I had a rough couple weeks 2 weeks ago, I was out almost every day with next to no fish. I swear I just have a day where I will only fish for a few hours and I will catch more fish in that time period than the last 8 trips combined. Im with opry though, the more I catch and learn about different tactics of catching fish, the less fish I catch. Have you tried using the worm without the bobber?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nymph........Do you eat all the fish you catch?
I rarely eat them. We go up to Wyoming every July and get enough Walleye to last all year long so I rarely eat what I catch.

To the poster above you, no, I have not tried the worm without the bobber.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Pete, you looking to get rid of your bamboo rods and go bait fishing?

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
I haven't used bait since I was 12. No reason to start again.

I know I got bored with the spinning rod after one outing. ;D

I'll stick to being a prude, and fly fishing with dry flies. :tongue:

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don't you find that the fish swallow the worm/hook? How do you keep from killing the fish?
My strategy has been to not catch fish. Using this method has resulted in zero fish swallowing the hook!

Seriously though no I do not have a problem with the ones I have caught swallowing the hook. If they did I would eat the fish. I love fish but that is not the primary reason I catch them. 99% of fish I catch get thrown back.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts