Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Sent you a PM on a fish berating spot to take the 6 yr old Nympho.

You might have to step your game up a bit, these fish are used to some pretty rough language..
Wow, greatly appreciated. I am also going to practice me insults, I would hate to not give these fish the proper level of demeaning they deserve.

Thanks man!

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
On the ponds? Brookies? Are there cutts up there in them ponds?

If I remember all I caught were brooks.... Been A few years..???
Up the pass is brookies. I also fished the beaver ponds around Wright Lake. I was getting cutthroats and browns from those. Way better than the slimy stocker rainbows from the lake.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Wow, greatly appreciated. I am also going to practice me insults, I would hate to not give these fish the proper level of demeaning they deserve.

Thanks man!
Always a good idea to talk trash about their mama's!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I have been skunked again. Went to a pond in Littleton right near my house. The last time it produced for me was probably around this time last summer when I yanked a few LMB out with a spinnerbait. I have been back at least ten times without a bite but I keep trying... Anyway, I showed up with a crankbait (I think that is what it is) and casted about 30 times, each time bringing in a massive amount of slimy vegetation. I could have thrown something weedless on like a Texas rig but I was determined to try some new types of lures so I decided to try another nearby pond that I know is not nearly as filthy as this one.

Went to the second pond. Keep in mind that I yanked countless blue gill out of it over the weekend but could not manage any bass as they were spawning and really do not seem to care about eating right now. So, I could see the bass from shore and was casting at them but they wouldn't take anything. Using that same crankbait until one cast where my polomar knot broke (yay!) sending it flying and it was gone. I then tried a white jig on a pink jighead. Nothing. It then rained. After the rain I tried a senko rigged wacky. Nothing although a spawning bass rose to it, looked at it, and went back down.

So that was it. No action at all although I could have pulled out the fly rod and slayed gills at will (but I was determined to try a new type of lure). So anyway, skunked again!

Also, why am I the only one posting about being skunked in here? I can't be the only one, can I?

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I have been skunked again. Went to a pond in Littleton right near my house. The last time it produced for me was probably around this time last summer when I yanked a few LMB out with a spinnerbait. I have been back at least ten times without a bite but I keep trying... Anyway, I showed up with a crankbait (I think that is what it is) and casted about 30 times, each time bringing in a massive amount of slimy vegetation. I could have thrown something weedless on like a Texas rig but I was determined to try some new types of lures so I decided to try another nearby pond that I know is not nearly as filthy as this one.

Went to the second pond. Keep in mind that I yanked countless blue gill out of it over the weekend but could not manage any bass as they were spawning and really do not seem to care about eating right now. So, I could see the bass from shore and was casting at them but they wouldn't take anything. Using that same crankbait until one cast where my polomar knot broke (yay!) sending it flying and it was gone. I then tried a white jig on a pink jighead. Nothing. It then rained. After the rain I tried a senko rigged wacky. Nothing although a spawning bass rose to it, looked at it, and went back down.

So that was it. No action at all although I could have pulled out the fly rod and slayed gills at will (but I was determined to try a new type of lure). So anyway, skunked again!

Also, why am I the only one posting about being skunked in here? I can't be the only one, can I?
Small pond in Littleton huh? Maybe i'll see you around sometime! :)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Skunked again. Standley Lake. Wacky rigs and crankbaits from shore. Talked to at least 6 other people all using nightcrawlers that were Skunked as well.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Got to throw a crankbait way more than 30x but it sounds like the wrong crank for that pond. Standley can be a tough SOB, boat or shore.

7 hours on the water today and I got one 16" eye at a different lake.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Got to throw a crankbait way more than 30x but it sounds like the wrong crank for that pond. Standley can be a tough SOB, boat or shore.

7 hours on the water today and I got one 16" eye at a different lake.
I got a lot more than 30 casts on on two different cranks before switching to wacky's and then on to a crawdad pattern plastic Texas Rig. No dice. I also threw some casts in a little pond on the south side of the big lake where I could see some carp but of course, no dice.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Been skunked this year bad. Been fishing on the north side of town, throwing everything in my bag without any luck. Getting real frustrated, as I wanted to get my son out with me soon.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Being out is a great time, catching is better, but still. And of course, that's why its called fishing and not catching.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Today was my closest to getting skunked outing in a while, although I did manage a few perch and a small catfish. But nothing like the fishing Ive been getting into. Hey Nympho, do you ever throw topwater

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Had a good night at Shatty Friday. 4.5 lb eye. Just shy of 22." Man that fish was healthy. Chatty eyes are eating well. It was spotty action but I picked up three others undersized.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Today was my closest to getting skunked outing in a while, although I did manage a few perch and a small catfish. But nothing like the fishing Ive been getting into. Hey Nympho, do you ever throw topwater
I fish the entire column. When you say topwater do you mean like poppers? I fish the top with everything from pooppers to dry flies. Frogs and mice. Only the dries seem to work.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I fish the entire column. When you say topwater do you mean like poppers? I fish the top with everything from pooppers to dry flies. Frogs and mice. Only the dries seem to work.

Yea that's what im talking about, a lot of times I have luck with topwater when I can't find the fish that actually want to eat. I really like the rapala original floaters, they get fish's attention at the top but are extremely subtle, I catch fish on them many many times when they won't hit poppers or frogs

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well I got skunked at Georgetown Lake yesterday. Was using powerbait and worms on one pole and casting a variety of different caster baits on my other pole. Not so much as even a nibble.

Granted it was my first time there, but damn I thought I'd see some sort of action!

41 - 60 of 75 Posts